Fwd: We're hiring!

  • mkewert@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 9, 2012

      From: "Luke Metzger, Environment Texas Director" <action@...>
      To: mewert@...
      Sent: Thursday, September 6, 2012 12:59:13 PM
      Subject: We're hiring!

      Environment Texas

      Dear Michael,

      Environment Texas is looking for an experienced organizer to work as our Field Organizer. Please pass this job announcement to folks you think might be interested.

      Environment Texas Field Organizer

      If you're looking to make a meaningful, long-lasting impact on the environmental challenges facing Texas today, apply to be the Environment Texas Field Organizer. You'll work with Environment Texas to protect and preserve Texas' clean air, clean water and open spaces.

      Environment Texas is a statewide, citizen-based environmental advocacy organization. We believe there's something special about Texas -- something worth protecting and preserving for future generations. Whether it's swimming at Barton Springs on a hot day, paddling down the Trinity River or hiking through Big Bend National Park, Texas' natural wonders enrich our lives in countless ways.

      Yet the places we love and the environmental values so many of us share are too often threatened by powerful industries, shortsighted politicians and more. Defending our environment requires independent research, tough-minded advocacy and spirited grassroots action. That's the idea behind Environment Texas. Together with thousands of supporters from all walks of life, we take the kind of action that wins tangible results for our environment.

      Environment Texas' Field Organizer will lead our efforts to win votes on our top priority campaigns, including requiring industry to cut water waste amidst the worst drought in a century, winning standards and incentives for solar power and energy efficiency, and protecting our state parks. You'll work with our citizen members and activists to engage on these pressing environmental issues. Building off of Environment Texas' network of thousands of members and longstanding relationships in the state legislature, you'll work with our expert staff to continue to build and mobilize powerful local constituencies to get behind your campaigns. You'll garner ongoing media attention to these important issues by organizing and speaking at news conferences, publishing op-eds, and meeting with reporters. You'll organize town hall meetings and rallies; lobby decision-makers; and raise money for our work through grant seeking and major donor outreach. You'll recruit interns, activists, and staff to work alongside you.

      Environment Texas draws on 30 years of success in tackling top environmental problems. We helped protect the Christmas Mountains of Big Bend, increased the use of wind and solar power in Texas, and successfully sued Shell and Chevron Phillips over violations of the Clean Air Act at their Houston-area refinery and chemical plants.

      Location
      Austin, Texas

      Qualifications
      Qualified applicants must have a strong commitment to building an organization that engages the public to defend the environment against powerful interests; excellent verbal, writing and analytical skills; an entrepreneurial spirit and track record of driving a project or building something; the ability to debate and speak persuasively in a charged atmosphere; and enthusiasm for the work. Candidates for this position should have 3+ years of relevant professional, post-college experience. Relevant experience includes working in political, policy, legal, journalistic, or government settings.

      Salary and Benefits
      Salaries and benefits are commensurate with candidate's experience.

      To apply, send a resume and cover letter to Luke Metzger at luke@....

      Thanks for all your support,

      Luke Metzger
      Environment Texas Director

      Find us on Facebook and Twitter.
      Donate today. A cleaner, greener future is within our reach. Your donation today can help us bring the vision we share a little closer to reality.