PV powered ceiling fans

  • mike schmitt
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 4, 2001
      I'm interested in powering 4 ceiling fans using solar panels. they use 75
      watts at full power what would I need to get this project up and running. I
      figured this would be a great beginning PV power project.

      thanks
      mike
    • mike schmitt
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 4, 2001
        Where can I get one of those meters to tell me my watt usage for my
        electronic devices....looking for a cheap one

        mike

        > I'm interested in powering 4 ceiling fans using solar panels. they use 75
        > watts at full power what would I need to get this project up and running.
        > figured this would be a great beginning PV power project.
        >
        > thanks
        > mike

      • Claude Foster
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 5, 2001
          1) Good and cheap is a classic example of oxymoron. Electrical test devices
          are not cheap. Personnel to operate them don't often work for no income.
          2) Electro Industries ( www.electroind.com) makes good monitoring and test
          equipment at a fair price.
          3) ElectroTest in Houston (713) 644-1237 can provide the equipment and
          personnel to help you evaluate your power usage.
          4) A V-O-M (Volt-Ohm-Meter) from an Electrical Parts Outlet (713) 784-0140
          can be used fairly effectively to measure power in low power, direct current
          devices.

          This in not an endorsement of product or company. Just a suggestion of some
          places and companies your may contact.

        • mike schmitt
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 5, 2001
            I had seen some thing that you plug the appliance into and then you plug the
            meter in to the a/c plug and you get a reading. The one I looked at was 130
            bucks....

            thanks for the info I will check out the info you sent.

            > 1) Good and cheap is a classic example of oxymoron. Electrical test
            devices
            > are not cheap. Personnel to operate them don't often work for no income.
            > 2) Electro Industries ( www.electroind.com) makes good monitoring and test
            > equipment at a fair price.
            > 3) ElectroTest in Houston (713) 644-1237 can provide the equipment and
            > personnel to help you evaluate your power usage.
            > 4) A V-O-M (Volt-Ohm-Meter) from an Electrical Parts Outlet (713) 784-0140
            > can be used fairly effectively to measure power in low power, direct
            current
            > devices.
            >
            > This in not an endorsement of product or company. Just a suggestion of
            some
            > places and companies your may contact.

          • Mike Ewert
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 7, 2001
              A friend of mine has a Watts Up meter and says it's pretty good. Jade
              Mountain sells it for $96.
              http://www.jademountain.com/energyProducts/system/wattsup.html

              Even before your message, I was thinking that this would be a good thing for
              HREG to buy. Members could check it out for a month at a time. I'll make a
              motion at our next meeting to purchase one.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 8, 2001
                Good Idea.

                You might give the local dealers a chance to match that price.

                mike

                >A friend of mine has a Watts Up meter and says it's pretty good. Jade
                >Mountain sells it for $96.
                >http://www.jademountain.com/energyProducts/system/wattsup.html
                >
                >Even before your message, I was thinking that this would be a good thing
                for
                >HREG to buy. Members could check it out for a month at a time. I'll make
                >motion at our next meeting to purchase one.

              • Roy Holder
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 9, 2001
                  At 07:31 AM 7/8/2001 -0500, you wrote:
                  >Good Idea.
                  >
                  >You might give the local dealers a chance to match that price.

                  you might also want someone to show you how it works. I have several types
                  of inductive amp meters( a little different that whay you are talking about)
                  and if you do not attach it correctly it is useless.

                  >mike

                • Andrew McCalla
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 10, 2001
                    HREGGERS,

                    Here is another power measurement device I recommend highly:

                    http://www.brandelectronics.com/powermeter.htm

                    Andrew

                    At 09:19 AM 7/7/01 -0700, you wrote:
                    >A friend of mine has a Watts Up meter and says it's pretty good. Jade
                    >Mountain sells it for $96.
                    >http://www.jademountain.com/energyProducts/system/wattsup.html
                    >
                    >Even before your message, I was thinking that this would be a good thing for
                    >HREG to buy. Members could check it out for a month at a time. I'll make a
                    >motion at our next meeting to purchase one.

                    Andrew H. McCalla
                    Meridian Energy Systems, Inc.
                    Solar-Electric System Design, Installation, and Service.
                    P.O. Box 5810
                    Austin, TX 78763
                    Tel: 512-477-3050
                    Fax: 512-477-3035