Power Generation and Prices

  • Shelia Thorne
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 28, 2012
      What will time and slow progress in alternate fuel sources do to our wallets?

      See full article

      In fact, NRG, the state’s biggest power producer, just agreed to spend $1.7 billion for Houston-based GenOn, another generating company. NRG President David Crane hailed it as “a new era of scale, scope, and market and fuel diversification in the competitive power industry,” but it’s unlikely to bring many of those benefits to Texas.
      Crane, in a conference call with reporters, said the merger won’t result in new generation here.

      “We stand ready at our sites to build more as soon as pricing tells us it’s time to build,” he said. “The pricing point hasn’t been there yet.”
      Don’t expect it to get there anytime soon.

      The PUC already has indicated it intends to double the cap on wholesale rates again
      next year. If you were NRG, would you be in a rush to build generation when you know you have the potential to sell power at double the current price limits next year?