RE: [hreg] 400 M-Watt in San Antonio

  • Ralph Parrott
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 25, 2012

      The deal is that CPS (San Antonio’s utility company) is city owned and they collect a monthly fee from users like Austin Energy to support a solar industry.  If only Centerpoint would do the same on their own.

      Ralph Parrott

      Founder and Vice President

      Alternative Power Solutions

      15150 Sommermeyer

      Houston, Texas  77041 - *New*

      O. 713-595-6375

      F. 713-595-6382

      C. 281-455-9083

      www.apowersolutions.com

      NEW APS Logo.jpg

      President

      cid:image005.jpg@01CCCB84.4804D6A0

      http://www.txses.org/hreg

      IMPORTANT NOTICE: This transmission (including all attached pages) is intended only for the use of the named address(es), and may contain information that is privileged or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not a named addressee, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distributing or copying of this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please destroy all copies and notify us immediately at this telephone number: (713) 595-6375. Thank you!

      I note that San Antonio has moved a step closer to building 400 M-Watts of PV. What would it take to promote such an undertaking in Houston? The difference in insolation, between Houston and SA favors SA by only 14%. Is that a deal breaker? See<http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/article/Solar-deal-for-CPS-set-to-bring-805-jobs-3728060.php#ixzz21YdcGEEn>

    • James Cargas
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 25, 2012
        The primary limitations are man-made.  San Antonio has a single public power company, CPS. Houston is a deregulated market. SA can spread the slightly higher cost of solar over all rate payers so that it becomes a meaningless costs.  In Houston, the ratepayer buying the solar bears all of the cost, eventhough his or her neighbors also get to breath the clean air.
            I note that San Antonio has moved a step closer to building 400 M-Watts of
        PV. What would it take to promote such an undertaking in Houston?  The
        difference in insolation, between Houston and SA favors SA by only 14%. Is that
        a deal breaker? See<http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/article/Solar-deal-for-CPS-set-to-bring-805-jobs-3728060.php#ixzz21YdcGEEn>

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            hreg-digest@yahoogroups.com
            hreg-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • kevin conlin
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 26, 2012

          Let’s not overlook the persistence and incredible efforts made by Bill and Lanny Sinkin and Solar San Antonio over many years to make this happen

          Their alliance with CPS and the San Antonio Credit Union has resulted in a very dynamic market, this didn’t happen by itself

          Kevin Conlin

          Heliosolar Design Inc

          13534 Quetzal

          Houston TX 77083-3525

          kevin@...

          281 202 9629

              --
              Thanks, Bill S
              Ph 832-338-3080

            • Alyssa Burgin
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 27, 2012
                Lanny accepted an invitation to speak in Corpus Christi on this topic, an engagement I had arranged. The audience quickly identified two sticking points for CC's implementation of the same ideas. One, the fact that SA has a public-owned utility, but just as important, the financial arrangements put together with Frost Bank and SACU. Lanny hinted strongly that if a local bank could be convinced to guarantee financing, both for large-scale projects and for individual homeowner applications, then the deal would be well on its way to completion.

                Bill Sinkin has had a long lifetime to establish the kind of personal and professional connections necessary to make those arrangements possible. If anyone can think of someone with the kind of clout in Houston to help push things through, that would be a big first step.

                Alyssa Burgin

                --
                Alyssa Burgin
                Executive Director