RE: [hreg] future of AC?

  • Jim Duncan
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 29, 2012

      When Paul Westbrook spoke to the NTREG 2nd Saturday meeting in May he detailed his homes energy efficiency enhancements. One was a similar dehumidification system only it was coupled with a fresh air ventilation system and not the cooling system.  He acknowledged that it was old early technology and requires regular maintenance but it does work as advertised.

      Slightly off topic, are there fewer incidents of mold in homes caused by high humidity these days or is the news media just ignoring it as old news?

      Jim

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 30, 2012
        'scooze me, but I think ambient humidity in Golden CO (where I think NREL "lives") probably "never" goes above 70%.  Please let me know when this method has been tested at over 95% humidity and over 95°F for weeks on end.
        Also, does this new desiccant get "regenerated" without using energy?
        Peace
        Ariel

        - We are all Human beings here together.  We have to help one another, since otherwise there is NO ONE who will help.
        - All countries need a NO REGRETS strategic policy regarding non-renewable resources, starting with water.
        - "Health" insurance companies are the American death panels; their business is to collect premiums and deny benefits. Their CEO's, and lesser bureaucrats, should not be part of any civilized health care system.
      • amwisner
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 30, 2012
          I had the same thought based on the little I know, but they do assert that it will work in hot & humid climates, and "anywhere in the US."

          I read about a dessicant-based system where the dessicant was circulated outside to dry, but it was in New Mexico - very different than Houston. Of course this is a different and very high tech system, I suppose.

          Andrea