Re: [hreg] Texas Posted Significant Renewable Energy Production Increases In 2011

  • John P Brandt
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 7, 2012
      Ralph,

      This is a great article.

      A few thoughts:

      The REC Markets are certainly a driver. From a wind energy standpoint (my background before oil & gas- I'm sure some of this holds true for solar) the bigger initiative (s) for ERCOT should be for more transmission, especially in West Texas, (the CREZ lines won't be enough- the wind developer I had worked for stopped bidding in RFP's & halted all M&A activity in Texas because of the transmission issues- too hard to interconnect) & on a national scale, more tax security- bringing back the Investment Tax Credit with a long-term extension. In addition, long-term security in the production tax credit (I'm sure solar is similar) needs to be obtained. This would make both construction financing & tax equity procurement a lot easier, leaving only one real "bottleneck": PPA availability. Some of our HREG initiatives can hopefully be aimed at fixing these "bottlenecks".

      I look forward to meeting/talking soon. It's a pleasure to be apart of the HREG team.

      Patrick

      On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 9:39 PM, Ralph Parrott <ralph.parrott@...> wrote:

      Texas posted a 13 percent increase in energy generated by renewable sources in 2011, according to the state's renewable energy credits registry administered by the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT), grid operator for most of the state.

      The renewable energy recorded in the state's renewable energy credit program was 31.7 million megawatt-hours (MWh) in 2011, compared to 28 million MWh in 2010 - a 13 percent increase - as reported in the Texas renewable energy credit program annual report, filed today at the Public Utility Commission of Texas (PUC).

      Wind generation represented the largest share at nearly 30.8 million MWh.  Due to the ongoing drought in most of the state, generation of hydroelectric power decreased by more than half, while solar power generation more than doubled.  More>

      Ralph Parrott

      President

      cid:image005.jpg@01CCCB84.4804D6A0

      http://www.txses.org/hreg

      IMPORTANT NOTICE: This transmission (including all attached pages) is intended only for the use of the named address(es), and may contain information that is privileged or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not a named addressee, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distributing or copying of this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please destroy all copies and notify us immediately at this telephone number: (713) 595-6375. Thank you!

      --
      J. Patrick Brandt
      Vice President of Business Development

      PRIVILEGED & CONFIDENTIAL COMMUNICATION: This e-mail message and all attachments, if any, are intended solely for the use of the intended recipient. This message and all attachments, if any, may contain information that is confidential, privileged and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient (or an employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient), you are prohibited from reading, disclosing, reproducing, distributing, disseminating, or otherwise using this transmission. Delivery of this message to any person other than the intended recipient is not intended to waive any right or privilege. If you have received this message in error, please promptly notify the sender by e-mail and immediately delete this message from your system.

    • Rick Ehrlich
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 8, 2012

        What is frustrating about these articles is, they report in a vacuum, never get a sense of what is total power generated all sources, then what is % of all power that is from renewable, and each flavor, so we see how it is still a small share but growing rapidly over the recent years.