Re: [hreg] It can be done

  • MIchele Arnold
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 10, 2012
      Re: [hreg] It can be done Thank you, Garth and Kim,
      I just sent this link to Rep. John Culberson.
      Michele

      From: Garth & Kim Travis <gartht@...>
      Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 07:23:36 -0600
      To: <HFCoop@yahoogroups.com>, <hreg@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [hreg] It can be done

      Greetings,

      I had the joy this morning of watching a positive clip that a community
      can become carbon neutral if they work together.

      http://www.nextworldtv.com/videos/energy/samso--the-renewable-energy-island-of-denmark.html

      I realize that the smaller community on the island makes life much
      easier when proposing a project like this, but I wonder how much we
      could achieve if we believed?
      Garth & Kim Travis
      www.TheRoseColoredForest.com
      Bedias, Texas

    • Russell Warren
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 10, 2012
        It's a good article, but a lot of people here and in the media miss the point.

        If you want things to change, you have to just go do it.  Instead of talking about what should be done, and waiting for our government to somehow solve all the issues (usually handing out rebate money), take control of the situation.
        Go today and buy some LED lights, or some new insulation for the attic, or put up a solar system on your house (even a small one).  For the cost of a few nights of dining out and catching a movie at the theater, you can make a large impact in your own personal space.

        I would be willing to bet that only a small percentage of people on this list have a solar system, an EV, LED lighting, or even a halfway efficient residence.  That even includes a lot of people who talk a big talk.

        What makes this community in Denmark amazing is that they didn't wait for the government to act, but instead put their money into action.  That is exactly what we need to do as well.  Our representatives will take notice when the ERCOT summer peak of 65,000+ MW goes down, not when they are flooded with links to news clippings.

        I'm hopping off my soapbox now and running out to buy a couple more LED lights!

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 11, 2012
          Russell -

          You hit the nail on the head! The greatest challenge one faces with change is changing human behavior.

          Europe is ahead of the game because they've always lived with limited resources and had an awareness of it (with high, unsubsidized energy costs). So switching and embraching energy efficient best practices was second-nature.

          The US, on the other hand, is accustomed to using and having access to unlimited resources, courtesy of government subsidies. This sense of entitlement is also aided by a an "abundant" mindframe, a psychological effect stemming from the vast landscape/territory Americans inhabit.

          But yes, I agree with you. Americans need to kick their addiction to subsidies and just do it. It's not an option anymore.

          Best,
          Violeta Archer