Green Mountain Energy

  • ChasMauch@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 20, 2001
      Well, after much fretting and worrying, I finally went ahead just now and
      signed up to buy my electricity from Green Mountain Energy. Since I can't
      bring myself to exchange my car for a bicylce, decided this would be the next
      best thing to help out old Mother Earth. Reliant will just have to recoup
      that $30 million they paid to put their name on all the buildings in the
      Astrodome complex without any help from me! Or was it $300 million? Those big
      numbers confuse me. Anyway, I feel better already!

      And while I am feeling real good, is there an engineer or other technical
      type who can tell me (making a few assumptions) how many pounds of CO2 I am
      removing from the air every month by switching to a source that uses 100%
      wind and 0% fossil fuels? I used 1238 KWH during my last billing period from
      Reliant. Just curious.

      Charlie (Greenman) Mauch
    • Ryan McMullan
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 20, 2001
                 I helped with a CO2 project at Rice a few years ago and the figures we came up with are:  HL&P gets their power (or got their power in 1999) from 39% natural gas, 47% western coal, 13% nuclear, 1% other (including renewables).  At these sources, 1238 kWh would be responsible for 1781 pounds of CO2 into the air.  Of course, since 1999 natural gas prices have gone up substantially, so there's probably more coal in the mix (and thus more CO2).  Infinite Power's website has an online calculator at:
        http://www.infinitepower.org/calc_carbon.htm
        It's a bit crude (you have to select a single source of electricity generating fuel), but gives you an idea of the magnitude of your impact (or lack thereof).  If you use 1238 kWh every month, then you'd need to plant 1081 trees each year to offset the atmospheric carbon that was introduced to the atmosphere on your behalf.  I think it's just easier to use wind power.

        Ryan

        At 07:47 PM 6/20/01 -0400, you wrote:
        Well, after much fretting and worrying, I finally went ahead just now and
        signed up to buy my electricity from Green Mountain Energy. Since I can't
        bring myself to exchange my car for a bicylce, decided this would be the next
        best thing to help out old Mother Earth. Reliant will just have to recoup
        that $30 million they paid to put their name on all the buildings in the
        Astrodome complex without any help from me! Or was it $300 million? Those big
        numbers confuse me. Anyway, I feel better already!

        And while I am feeling real good, is there an engineer or other technical
        type who can tell me (making a few assumptions) how many pounds of CO2 I am
        removing from the air every month by switching to a source that uses 100%
        wind and 0% fossil fuels? I used 1238 KWH during my last billing period from
        Reliant. Just curious.

        Charlie (Greenman) Mauch

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        74bb555.jpg
        Yahoo! Domains - Click Here

        74bb589.jpg

      • ChasMauch@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 21, 2001
          Ryan,
          Thanks for the response to my question about how much CO2 I am putting into
          the air every month. Turns out it is almost a ton! Texas has about 18 million
          people - say about 5 million households - so if we all switched we could
          eliminate 5 million tons per month? Of course we couldn't all switch yet
          because there will only be about 3% available even when the program is fully
          implemented, and my usage may be above or below average, but it is an
          interesting number.
          Charlie