Re: [hreg] China - US solar trade war info

  • Philip Timmons
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 23, 2012
      . . . . and nothing to do with all the surplus electricity already being generated . . . . .

      From: Violeta Archer <violetatx9@...>
      Sender: hreg@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 15:44:02 -0800 (PST)
      To: <hreg@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: hreg@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [hreg] China - US solar trade war info

      Hi Everyone!

      As a follow-up to yesterday's meeting, here's an indepth explanation on the US-China trade war re: China's PV dumping and subsidies policy.

      Please note there are three parts to the article. I'm providing the link for Part II. Within the article you'll see links for Part I and Part III.

      Part III has a telling graph:  China solar subsidies amount to $38 Billion while U.S. subsidies are a meager $1.3 Billion. Although the article doesn't provide numbers for U.S. subsidies destined towards fossil fuels, the amount greatly exceeds that for solar energy.

      Also note the differing nature of subsidies. Not all subsidies are alike. China subsidizes its manufacturers directly giving them a big advantage in the product-to-market strategy. As you know, the U.S. primarily subsidizes in the form of consumer incentives, which without restrictions benefits Chinese imports (i.e. it enables the customer to switch to renewable energy but there is no restriction on country of origin when purchasing).

      Best,

      Violeta Archer
      FLUID