Re: Installation of solar street light pole

  • natankman
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 25, 2011
      Sharon,

      To help combat Philip's presented issues, have you considered a wind turbine instead, or a combo turbine/solar option? Urban Green Energy makes a turbine powered LED highway light that has a solar powered option called the Boardwalk. Unfortunately I have no cost info at this time, but have been looking into them myself.

      http://onestopgreen.com/innovative-product-solutions/wind-solutions/commercial-wind-solutions/the-boardwalk/the-boardwalk.aspx

      As for the construction issues such as mounting and extra equipment, I don't have answers for that either. In a municipal setting, where the extra equipment would go would probably be up to the city. However, some may fit in the base and pole, minimizing the amount of digging. If this is something for your personal property, Urban Green Energy should be able to answer your questions.

      Nathan Kaufman

      --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, Philip Timmons <philiptimmons@...> wrote:

      > Sure.
      > But maybe start with thinking through whether (or some are wind) lighting really makes sense for the application? If there is ANY local grid power available or practical to bring the site, it usually makes much more sense than all the batteries and extra equipment involved. And that is not for anything against Solar, or PV or anything. It is more a case of matching the solution to the problem. Solar produces during the day, and the lights are on at night. Sort of a source-load mismatch. So usually the only practical place to do this is in very remote that are beyond the service of the grid.
      > As far as numbers -- Roadway lighting varies by Height of the pole(s) and "Reach" of the arm -- if one is used -- in general, higher, bigger, longer costs more. A deep foundation is bored, with mounting anchors embedded in the concrete. The pole is bolted down to that and wiring is ran underground from pole to pole, or tied together overhead.
      > Typical budgets come out around $5K to $10K per light. As far as going with the various Solar options, our numbers come out closer to $25K to $50K each, so the folks select the grid choices rather quickly, and instead use their Solar for grid-tie and produce and offset their daytime loads.

    • Ray Brown
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 25, 2011
        Hi Sharon,

        Please contact Richard Holmberg.  He is an expert on solar street light applications who can design lighting layouts, run photometric, pole designs recommendations, and consult on anything you would need.  His direct number is 530-432-7720, also             530-263-5106      .

        Definitely worth making a phone call to.

        Ray Brown
                    832-465-1828

        To help combat Philip's presented issues, have you considered a wind turbine instead, or a combo turbine/solar option? Urban Green Energy makes a turbine powered LED highway light that has a solar powered option called the Boardwalk. Unfortunately I have no cost info at this time, but have been looking into them myself.

        http://onestopgreen.com/innovative-product-solutions/wind-solutions/commercial-wind-solutions/the-boardwalk/the-boardwalk.aspx

        As for the construction issues such as mounting and extra equipment, I don't have answers for that either. In a municipal setting, where the extra equipment would go would probably be up to the city. However, some may fit in the base and pole, minimizing the amount of digging. If this is something for your personal property, Urban Green Energy should be able to answer your questions.

        Nathan Kaufman

        --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, Philip Timmons <philiptimmons@...> wrote:

        > Sure.
        > But maybe start with thinking through whether (or some are wind) lighting really makes sense for the application? If there is ANY local grid power available or practical to bring the site, it usually makes much more sense than all the batteries and extra equipment involved. And that is not for anything against Solar, or PV or anything. It is more a case of matching the solution to the problem. Solar produces during the day, and the lights are on at night. Sort of a source-load mismatch. So usually the only practical place to do this is in very remote that are beyond the service of the grid.
        > As far as numbers -- Roadway lighting varies by Height of the pole(s) and "Reach" of the arm -- if one is used -- in general, higher, bigger, longer costs more. A deep foundation is bored, with mounting anchors embedded in the concrete. The pole is bolted down to that and wiring is ran underground from pole to pole, or tied together overhead.
        > Typical budgets come out around $5K to $10K per light. As far as going with the various Solar options, our numbers come out closer to $25K to $50K each, so the folks select the grid choices rather quickly, and instead use their Solar for grid-tie and produce and offset their daytime loads.

      • Sharon Ferrell
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 25, 2011
          Thanks Nathan!

          Actually, the street light poles I am looking in to are hybrid, but HAWT instead of VAWT.  Thanks for the info - I appreciate it!

          Sharon

          On Sun, Dec 25, 2011 at 1:04 PM, natankman <natankman@...> wrote:

          Sharon,

          To help combat Philip's presented issues, have you considered a wind turbine instead, or a combo turbine/solar option? Urban Green Energy makes a turbine powered LED highway light that has a solar powered option called the Boardwalk. Unfortunately I have no cost info at this time, but have been looking into them myself.

          http://onestopgreen.com/innovative-product-solutions/wind-solutions/commercial-wind-solutions/the-boardwalk/the-boardwalk.aspx

          As for the construction issues such as mounting and extra equipment, I don't have answers for that either. In a municipal setting, where the extra equipment would go would probably be up to the city. However, some may fit in the base and pole, minimizing the amount of digging. If this is something for your personal property, Urban Green Energy should be able to answer your questions.

          Nathan Kaufman

          --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, Philip Timmons <philiptimmons@...> wrote:

          > Sure.
          > But maybe start with thinking through whether (or some are wind) lighting really makes sense for the application? If there is ANY local grid power available or practical to bring the site, it usually makes much more sense than all the batteries and extra equipment involved. And that is not for anything against Solar, or PV or anything. It is more a case of matching the solution to the problem. Solar produces during the day, and the lights are on at night. Sort of a source-load mismatch. So usually the only practical place to do this is in very remote that are beyond the service of the grid.
          > As far as numbers -- Roadway lighting varies by Height of the pole(s) and "Reach" of the arm -- if one is used -- in general, higher, bigger, longer costs more. A deep foundation is bored, with mounting anchors embedded in the concrete. The pole is bolted down to that and wiring is ran underground from pole to pole, or tied together overhead.
          > Typical budgets come out around $5K to $10K per light. As far as going with the various Solar options, our numbers come out closer to $25K to $50K each, so the folks select the grid choices rather quickly, and instead use their Solar for grid-tie and produce and offset their daytime loads.

        • Ron Foster
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 26, 2011
            Sharon,

            My company supplies these lights. Please get in touch, and I'll send you pricing and specs. We have more than 400 LED products, btw.

            Ron Foster
            ronfoster@...
            281-748-1994

            --
            Ron Foster – President
            Solar Panels of America LLC
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 26, 2011
              Phillip,

              Our solar-LED products are far, far cheaper than that. Please get in touch if you need pricing and specs.

              Ron Foster
              ronfoster@...
              281-748-1994

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 30, 2012
                I am interested in gaining hands on experience on installing solar and wind power systems.
                Please let me know if there is a place here in Houston. Thanks for any feed back.
              • William Swann
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 30, 2012
                  Lonestar College has an installation in the planning stages, for wind and solar - stationary and tracking, in the near future. I will post notices as I hear of them.

                  On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 8:25 PM, Al Source <ignition_source@...> wrote:

                  I am interested in gaining hands on experience on installing solar and wind power systems.
                  Please let me know if there is a place here in Houston. Thanks for any feed back.

                  --
                  Thanks, Bill S
                  Ph 832-338-3080

                • Rick Ehrlich