Re: [hreg] Who at TSU knows about outreach in Africa?

  • mkewert@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 22, 2011
      There are also student chapters at U of H, A&M and UT and professional chapters South Houston/JSC and Central Houston.

      From: Robert Johnston <junk1@...>
      To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, December 22, 2011, 12:54 PM

      Thanks.

      I’m still hoping to hear from TSU—or do you know?  Do they still have projects in Africa as they did a few years ago when Oral was here?

      Robert

      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 22, 2011
        I asked one of our Senior Engineers who has worked with EWB -- and they have done Solar PV for drinking water applications.

        He also suggested checking with Rotary.  Seems the International part of "Rotary International" is very real, and they have a mission of world-wide drinking water and tend to be well-funded and well-connected around the world.

        There are also student chapters at U of H, A&M and UT and professional chapters South Houston/JSC and Central Houston.

        Still hoping to hear from someone at TSU who can talk about what they’ve done in Africa on solar projects.

        Thanks,

        Robert

        I’m still hoping to hear from TSU—or do you know?  Do they still have projects in Africa as they did a few years ago when Oral was here?

      • fee83_qt
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 23, 2011
          I may have Oral's contact information. If I do not have his information, I have contact information for someone else who worked with Oral when TSU did solar installation in South Africa.

          I am not sure if TSU is still doing anything in renewable energy since the person who implemented the projects is deceased.

          --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Johnston" <junk1@...> wrote:

          > I have a friend from Zambia who will be hosting a Zambian
          > engineer/contractor for the next approx. 6 weeks. One of the things he'd
          > like to do is learn more about solar/PV for application as backup power for
          > Zambian homes especially in rural villages, where blackouts are common. I
          > told my friend I would ask HREG for contacts/volunteers who would be willing
          > to talk to him.
          >

          > I know TSU used to do some outreach projects in Africa when Oral was here.
          > Is that still going on? Who would be the contact he could talk to about
          > what was done or what is still being done?
          >

          > Additionally, are there any volunteers who design, install or own
          > residential PV that would be willing to spend a little time with this
          > gentleman?
          >

          > Please respond with your name and contact info and what you are offering to
          > show. You may respond offline to me at bus1@... if you prefer.
          >

          > Thanks!
          >

          > Robert Johnston

        • kevin conlin
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 23, 2011

            The above is the contact information I have for Oral LaFleur…

            Kevin Conlin

            Heliosolar Design Inc

            PO Box 1938

            Alief, TX 77411