Anyone willing to talk to a Zambian engineer about PV and solar in residential construction?

  • Robert Johnston
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 19, 2011

      I have a friend from Zambia who will be hosting a Zambian engineer/contractor for the next approx. 6 weeks.  One of the things he’d like to do is learn more about solar/PV for application as backup power for Zambian homes especially in rural villages, where blackouts are common.  I told my friend I would ask HREG for contacts/volunteers who would be willing to talk to him.

      I know TSU used to do some outreach projects in Africa when Oral was here.  Is that still going on?  Who would be the contact he could talk to about what was done or what is still being done?

      Additionally, are there any volunteers who design, install or own residential PV that would be willing to spend a little time with this gentleman?

      Please respond with your name and contact info and what you are offering to show.  You may respond offline to me at bus1@... if you prefer.

      Thanks!

      Robert Johnston

    • Don Simons
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 20, 2011
        Hi Robert
        I am a greenbuilder Austin, Galveston. Houston Tx.
        I have been approached by World Bank to possibly do some affordable  building in  Zambia. I build with Insulated concrete forms.and have a home that is highly energy efficient Fire and Storm Proof and very affordable. I would be interested in meeting your friend and helping any way  I can. Maybe we can help each other
        Don Simons
        NewTech Builders, Inc.
        (512)576-7466
        www.greenbuilder-newtech.com
        newtechtoday@...

        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 20, 2011

          That sounds great!  I’m sure he’d like to meet with you.  I’ll get back to you (probably after the holidays) to make arrangements or put you two in touch with each other directly.

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 22, 2011

            Still hoping to hear from someone at TSU who can talk about what they’ve done in Africa on solar projects.

            Thanks,

            Robert

            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 22, 2011

              Robert

              Because this is both educational and international equipment supply I would think that Ontility, Ameresco, and SolarCraft would be the best companies to begin contacting.

              Ralph Parrott

              President

              http://www.txses.org/hreg

              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 22, 2011

                Thanks.

                I’m still hoping to hear from TSU—or do you know?  Do they still have projects in Africa as they did a few years ago when Oral was here?

                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 22, 2011
                  Have you all looked into Engineers without Borders?

                  I think they have a Chapter at Rice.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 22, 2011

                    Thanks.  Not familiar with them.  I glanced at their website and while I don’t see PV projects listed, they do emphasize sustainability, so it may be a useful resource.  Thanks for the lead.

                    Robert

                  • mkewert@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 22, 2011
                      There are also student chapters at U of H, A&M and UT and professional chapters South Houston/JSC and Central Houston.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 22, 2011
                        I asked one of our Senior Engineers who has worked with EWB -- and they have done Solar PV for drinking water applications.

                        He also suggested checking with Rotary.  Seems the International part of "Rotary International" is very real, and they have a mission of world-wide drinking water and tend to be well-funded and well-connected around the world.

                        There are also student chapters at U of H, A&M and UT and professional chapters South Houston/JSC and Central Houston.

                        Still hoping to hear from someone at TSU who can talk about what they’ve done in Africa on solar projects.

                        Thanks,

                        Robert

                        I’m still hoping to hear from TSU—or do you know?  Do they still have projects in Africa as they did a few years ago when Oral was here?

                      • fee83_qt
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 23, 2011
                          I may have Oral's contact information. If I do not have his information, I have contact information for someone else who worked with Oral when TSU did solar installation in South Africa.

                          I am not sure if TSU is still doing anything in renewable energy since the person who implemented the projects is deceased.

                          --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Johnston" <junk1@...> wrote:

                          > I have a friend from Zambia who will be hosting a Zambian
                          > engineer/contractor for the next approx. 6 weeks. One of the things he'd
                          > like to do is learn more about solar/PV for application as backup power for
                          > Zambian homes especially in rural villages, where blackouts are common. I
                          > told my friend I would ask HREG for contacts/volunteers who would be willing
                          > to talk to him.
                          >

                          > I know TSU used to do some outreach projects in Africa when Oral was here.
                          > Is that still going on? Who would be the contact he could talk to about
                          > what was done or what is still being done?
                          >

                          > Additionally, are there any volunteers who design, install or own
                          > residential PV that would be willing to spend a little time with this
                          > gentleman?
                          >

                          > Please respond with your name and contact info and what you are offering to
                          > show. You may respond offline to me at bus1@... if you prefer.
                          >

                          > Thanks!
                          >

                          > Robert Johnston

                        • kevin conlin
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 23, 2011

                            The above is the contact information I have for Oral LaFleur…

                            Kevin Conlin

                            Heliosolar Design Inc

                            PO Box 1938

                            Alief, TX 77411