OT - A New American Christmas Tradition

  • Garth & Kim Travis
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 8, 2011
      This idea came in on one of my lists. I love it. So, I thought I would
      share it far and wide.
      Garth & Kim Travis
      www.TheRoseColoredForest.com
      Bedias, Texas
      936-395-0110

      Don't know the originating source for this, but I do like
      it...................
      As the holidays approach, the giant Asian factories are kicking into
      high gear to provide Americans with monstrous piles of cheaply produced
      goods -- merchandise that has been produced at the expense of American
      labor. This year will be different. This year Americans will give the
      gift of genuine concern for other Americans. There is no longer an
      excuse that, at gift giving time, nothing can be found that is produced
      by American hands. Yes there is!
      It's time to think outside the box, people. Who says a gift needs to fit
      in a shirt box, wrapped in Chinese produced wrapping paper?
      Everyone -- yes EVERYONE gets their hair cut. How about gift
      certificates from your local American hair salon or barber?
      Gym membership? It's appropriate for all ages who are thinking about
      some health improvement.
      Who wouldn't appreciate getting their car detailed? Small, American
      owned detail shops and car washes would love to sell you a gift
      certificate or a book of gift certificates.
      Are you one of those extravagant givers who think nothing of plonking
      down the Benjamines on a Chinese made flat-screen? Perhaps that grateful
      gift receiver would like his driveway sealed, or lawn mowed for the
      summer, or driveway plowed all winter, or games at the local golf course.
      There are a bazillion owner-run restaurants -- all offering gift
      certificates. And, if your intended isn't the fancy eatery sort, what
      about a half dozen breakfasts at the local breakfast joint. Remember,
      folks this isn't about big National chains -- this is about supporting
      your home town Americans with their financial lives on the line to keep
      their doors open.
      How many people couldn't use an oil change for their car, truck or
      motorcycle, done at a shop run by the American working guy?
      Thinking about a heartfelt gift for mom? Mom would LOVE the services of
      a local cleaning lady for a day.
      My computer could use a tune-up, and I KNOW I can find some young guy
      who is struggling to get his repair business up and running.
      OK, you were looking for something more personal. Local crafts people
      spin their own wool and knit them into scarves. They make jewelry, and
      pottery and beautiful wooden boxes.
      Plan your holiday outings at local, owner operated restaurants and leave
      your server a nice tip. And, how about going out to see a play or ballet
      at your hometown theatre.
      Musicians need love too, so find a venue showcasing local bands.
      Honestly, people, do you REALLY need to buy another ten thousand Chinese
      lights for the house? When you buy a five dollar string of light, about
      fifty cents stays in the community. If you have those kinds of bucks to
      burn, leave the mailman, trash guy or babysitter a nice BIG tip.
      You see, Christmas is no longer about draining American pockets so that
      China can build another glittering city. Christmas is now about caring
      about US, encouraging American small businesses to keep plugging away to
      follow their dreams. And, when we care about other Americans, we care
      about our communities, and the benefits come back to us in ways we
      couldn't imagine. THIS is the new American Christmas tradition.