Re: money and mileage

  • Ariel Thomann
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 14 12:22 PM
      Garth and Kim wrote:
      "I am looking at what it really costs to have a more fuel efficient vehicle.... "

      My 2005 Prius is approaching 150,000 miles, over half of it on the highway (where I do rather regularly go about 5-10 % over the speed limit - mea culpa).  My "vanity plate" says 44 MPG because early on I concluded I would average that if I drive halfway carefully.  Overall, I have really averaged right at a very honest 40 MPG.  Newer Prii(?) reportedly do quite a bit better.

      You must remember that wind resistance is proportional to the SQUARE of the front cross-section of the vehicle.  From that standpoint, I'd like for the Prius to be less tall (I'm 5'-8" and have way more headroom than I need).  If you spend a lot of time on the highway, you should consider the front cross-section.  I'm sure that applies to towing-capable vehicles as well as to small sedans.

      FYI, my costs (besides tires, wipers, etc) have been a rear bumper thanks to somebody else, a water pump, and the "small" battery replaced at about 120,000 miles.  Oh, and $ 2.25 for a back-up light bulb which I still think should have been a warranty item.  I love my Prius and the smart people who designed it.

      Peace
      Ariel

      - We are all Human beings here together.  We have to help one another, since otherwise there is NO ONE who will help.
      - All countries need a NO REGRETS strategic policy regarding non-renewable resources, starting with water.
      - "Health" insurance companies are the American death panels; their business is to collect premiums and deny benefits. Their CEO's, and lesser bureaucrats, should not be part of any civilized health care system.