RE: [hreg] Pool Pump Alternatives

  • ralph parrott
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 9, 2011

      Solar powered pool pumps do exist and are very viable.  They even can be wired to use standard power when the sun is not available.

      However,  cost is well above your alternative to buy a new pump.

      Ralph Parrott

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 9, 2011
        Good chance it is just the capacitor, as well -- that is the big lump looking thing on the side of the motor.  Gives the motor a little "boost" to start it turning.  If the capacitor goes bad, it will just hum and then kick off.

        But yeah, a variable speed pump or variable speed drive would definitely take down the start-up current if you wanted to run it from a DC source like PV panels.