RE: [hreg] Pool Pump Alternatives

  • Swim
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 9, 2011

      Andrea,

      There is possibly a short somewhere or the impeller may congealed with debris and binding.  Once you determine the cause of the breaker trip you will be better situated to make a decision on a pump. If a new pump is a requirement, you might want to consider a variable speed pump. Do you have a pool and spa, or just a pool?  Most pools are not hydraulically engineered correctly and as a result flow rates and gpm’s are not considered when sizing a pump for you application.

      Sincerely,

      Brett Hatfield

      CBP.

      Downunda Inc.

      Ph: 281-236-4344

      Fx: 281-377-8853

      Em: swim@...

      Wb: www.downundapools.com

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 9, 2011

        Solar powered pool pumps do exist and are very viable.  They even can be wired to use standard power when the sun is not available.

        However,  cost is well above your alternative to buy a new pump.

        Ralph Parrott

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 9, 2011
          Good chance it is just the capacitor, as well -- that is the big lump looking thing on the side of the motor.  Gives the motor a little "boost" to start it turning.  If the capacitor goes bad, it will just hum and then kick off.

          But yeah, a variable speed pump or variable speed drive would definitely take down the start-up current if you wanted to run it from a DC source like PV panels.