Re: [hreg] new trucks

  • John P. Matznick
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 7, 2011
      Kim and Garth. I have a Dodge right now and want to do an upgrade as well sometime next year so I have been asking around too.
      Most people that have driven trucks longer than me have recommended the Chevy Duramax.
      There is another option.... not a lot of people know this but Bob Lutz, formerly of GM is now with a company called Via Motors and they are working on 3 range extended trucks and vans.
      They are the same concept as the Chevy Volt which I think is the next step up as regular hybrids are antiquated technology now.

      Regards
      John P. Matznick
      Renewable Energy & Sustainability Consultant
      Green Tech Fusion
      888.642.0226
      www.GreenTechFusion.com -  Sustainable & Renewable Technologies

      On Oct 7, 2011, at 7:12 AM, Garth & Kim Travis wrote:

      Greetings,

      We need a new farm vehicle, something that can really pull a load and
      that has cargo space. Trucks are good, but the fuel economy is not
      great. I was hoping for a hybrid, but as I understand it, the hybrids
      are not there yet.

      Does anyone have a favorite they would buy if they were in the market?
      I am looking for plain Jane, not fancy. This is a working farm truck,
      but it does make long trips sometimes, so comfort is an issue. It does
      get driven across fields etc, as well as on the road. It has to haul at
      least 3500lbs. I like the new vehicles that have no carpet. This would
      make hauling the occasional lamb or sheep inside much easier.

      Part of me is thinking SUV, especially the new hybrids, but I am not
      sure they would have the performance I need. Although they have the
      fuel economic I am looking for.

      Garth & Kim Travis
      www.TheRoseColoredForest.com
      Bedias, Texas
      936-395-0110

    • Garth & Kim Travis
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 8, 2011
        Greetings,
        It is wonderful to see that they are being built, but the price, ouch.
        The farm needs to be able to pay for the truck, and they are three times
        the budget. I wish I was richer, they look great. Maybe my next truck,
        in about 15 years will be one. There is not a lot of money is raising food.

        Bright Blessings,

      • russellrwarren@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 8, 2011
          I would get a low end diesel for a great tow capacity and good mileage (for a truck). You could then experiment with using or even making biofuel for it.

          Sent from my iPhone

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 8, 2011
            Greetings,

            We did that back in 2005, I had a Volkswagen Gulf TDI. However, we
            found that making biodiesel is not fun. I have lots of waste veggie
            oil, as my tractor runs on it, but the new diesels will not run on it.
            My chemical sensitivity makes doing biodiesel an impossibility for me,
            unfortunately, and hubby hated doing it.