Distilled Water From A/C

  • William M. Bell, Jr.
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 8, 2001
      This is a little off track, but close to renewables, so I thought that I'd
      run it by you guys.

      We have a small window unit A/C. Rather than allowing the condensation to
      drip on the ground or into a drain, we collect it and the filter it through
      a ceramic/charcoal filter. The water tastes great. We plan to have the water
      tested, but I was concerned whether anyone knew of any problems with doing
      this. It is essentially distilled water. My main concern was whether lead
      may have been used in the solder or other part of the coils. Anyone out
      there have any ideas on this subject?
    • Charles L. Seaman
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 8, 2001
        Don't dring it. All it is condensed water vapor from respristory, sweat,
        evaporated water from the sinks and other waters, and other body fluids in
        the vapor state; along with bacteria and other contaminants.

        ----------

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 12, 2001
          We run it through a 5 micron ceramic filter and activated charcoal filter.
          According to the manufacturer of the filter, you could drink water out of
          the ditch after it was filtered through this filter. The missionaries use it
          in places where there is no clean water. Besides, we use it mostly for
          coffee.

          My main concern is other possible contaminates.

          > Don't dring it. All it is condensed water vapor from respristory, sweat,
          > evaporated water from the sinks and other waters, and other body fluids in
          > the vapor state; along with bacteria and other contaminants.
          >
          > ----------
          > >From: "William M. Bell, Jr." <wmb@...>
          > >To: <hreg@yahoogroups.com>
          > >Subject: [hreg] Distilled Water From A/C
          > >Date: Fri, Jun 8, 2001, 5:23 PM
          > >

          > > This is a little off track, but close to renewables, so I thought that
          I'd
          > > run it by you guys.
          > >
          > > We have a small window unit A/C. Rather than allowing the condensation
          > > drip on the ground or into a drain, we collect it and the filter it
          through
          > > a ceramic/charcoal filter. The water tastes great. We plan to have the
          water
          > > tested, but I was concerned whether anyone knew of any problems with
          doing
          > > this. It is essentially distilled water. My main concern was whether
          lead
          > > may have been used in the solder or other part of the coils. Anyone out
          > > there have any ideas on this subject?
          > >

          > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Bohorquez, Julio C
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 12, 2001
            It should be alright. Bacteria are in not in the vapor state! There is
            probably more bateria in tap water than in your filtered water.

            > Don't dring it. All it is condensed water vapor from respristory, sweat,
            > evaporated water from the sinks and other waters, and other body fluids in
            > the vapor state; along with bacteria and other contaminants.
            >
            > ----------
            > >From: "William M. Bell, Jr." <wmb@...>
            > >To: <hreg@yahoogroups.com>
            > >Subject: [hreg] Distilled Water From A/C
            > >Date: Fri, Jun 8, 2001, 5:23 PM
            > >

            > > This is a little off track, but close to renewables, so I thought that
            I'd
            > > run it by you guys.
            > >
            > > We have a small window unit A/C. Rather than allowing the condensation
            > > drip on the ground or into a drain, we collect it and the filter it
            through
            > > a ceramic/charcoal filter. The water tastes great. We plan to have the
            water
            > > tested, but I was concerned whether anyone knew of any problems with
            doing
            > > this. It is essentially distilled water. My main concern was whether
            lead
            > > may have been used in the solder or other part of the coils. Anyone out
            > > there have any ideas on this subject?
            > >

            > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Ristroph
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 12, 2001
              Don't you mean .5 (point five) micron? Five micron filtration is not
              effective against bacteria, some of which are as small as .01 micron.
              The .5 micron water filters sold advertise that they are 99.99% effective
              against bacteria, but much of that is due to the fact that the bacteria
              tend to lodge against surface irregularities, not because they cannot
              go through the openings. That is why new, larger filters are more
              effective. All of these products have a limited life span --- check the
              number of gallons they are recommended for before replacement
              is needed.

              A filter in the .01 micron range would be extremely expensive. Even
              laboratory and industrial applications cannot get that degree of filtration
              without slowing down the flow of water prohibitively.

              And remember, too, water is not the only thing that distills. If there are
              any volatile contaminants in the vicinity of the AC coils, especially hydro-
              carbons, they could collect in the condensation as well. Probably, you
              are safe, but I would pour it on the plants unless I was dying of thirst and
              that was the only source.

              -- Marie
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Spring Creek Watershed Initiative
              Marie Gibbens Ristroph
              33819 Cripple Creek Road
              Pinehurst, TX 77362
              (281) 356-7397 or mobile/voice mail (281) 467-4255
              ris@...
            • EXT-Mendell, Christopher N
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 12, 2001
                just a couple of thoughts....
                I think if there is a concern, it would be about metal ions and possibly
                heat exchanger coating ions which could dissolve into the water as it
                condenses and could pass through the filter. Most metal ions can be tested
                in a high school chemistry class lab. Knowledge of the materials which make
                up the condenser will determine whether further testing is indicated. Also
                w.r.t.biohazard/bacteria - many counties have well and/or spring water
                testing services. You might contact them and bring them a sample.
                Chris

              • Robert Foster
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 12, 2001
                  I would not recommend drinking the water from the AC coils since you
                  might pick up some harmful metals that the filter will not take out.
                  Distilled water is highly corrosive to metals. However, a proper
                  filter should be able to take out the bacteria (that will exist in
                  the condensed water).

                  If you want ultra-pure water (distilled), take a look at solar
                  distilled water. We (El Paso Solar Energy Association) have been
                  promoting this technology quite successfully in the El Paso area with
                  over 120 systems installed and more on the way. Extensive testing
                  has been done also by New Mexico State University on this. Check out
                  the EPSEA website (www.epsea.org) to learn more on solar distillation.

                  cheers,

                  Robert Foster

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 12, 2001
                    Thank you all for your input. I have really enjoyed the information that
                    comes out of this group.

                    I think that I'll check out the solar distillation and pour the a/c water on
                    the plants.

                    William M. Bell, Jr.
                    PO Box 926
                    Fulshear, Texas 77441-0926
                    wmb@...
                    Telephone: 713-439-1115
                    Fax (bus hours only) 281-346-0994
                    > Don't you mean .5 (point five) micron? Five micron filtration is not
                    > effective against bacteria, some of which are as small as .01 micron.
                    > The .5 micron water filters sold advertise that they are 99.99% effective
                    > against bacteria, but much of that is due to the fact that the bacteria
                    > tend to lodge against surface irregularities, not because they cannot
                    > go through the openings. That is why new, larger filters are more
                    > effective. All of these products have a limited life span --- check the
                    > number of gallons they are recommended for before replacement
                    > is needed.
                    >
                    > A filter in the .01 micron range would be extremely expensive. Even
                    > laboratory and industrial applications cannot get that degree of
                    filtration
                    > without slowing down the flow of water prohibitively.
                    >
                    > And remember, too, water is not the only thing that distills. If there
                    are
                    > any volatile contaminants in the vicinity of the AC coils, especially
                    hydro-
                    > carbons, they could collect in the condensation as well. Probably, you
                    > are safe, but I would pour it on the plants unless I was dying of thirst
                    and
                    > that was the only source.
                    >
                    > -- Marie
                    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    > Spring Creek Watershed Initiative
                    > Marie Gibbens Ristroph
                    > 33819 Cripple Creek Road
                    > Pinehurst, TX 77362
                    > (281) 356-7397 or mobile/voice mail (281) 467-4255
                    > ris@...

                  • Steven Shepard
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 13, 2001
                      Here are some details on a solar distiller:
                      Sunwater Solar
                      2 person, 5 liters per day $550.00
                      3/4 person, 8 liters per day $750.00

                      Collector is about the size of a 100 Watt solar panel but is thicker.  Mounts horizontally and low to the ground.  Fresh water discharge is right on the end of the collector.  Kind of interesting.

                      Let me know if you need more info.

                      SBT Designs
                      25840 IH-10 West #1
                      Boerne, Texas 78006
                      210-698-7109
                      FAX: 210-698-7147
                      www.sbtdesigns.com

                      Please note we are moving our email address to sbtdesigns@....
                      Please update our information in your records.