Re: Nuke Ponderings

  • SusanD
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 11, 2011
      One big problem with the nuclear industry, as I see it besides the obvious practical ones of safety and waste storage is that over the decades, this very profitable industry has managed to hide and externalize many of its normal costs of doing business and load them onto the taxpayer. Not only is the DOE's loan guarantee program expecting a 50% default rate on the loans but there is $54 billion in that pool right now leaving us holding approximately $27 billion in unpaid loans. The Price-Anderson Act grossly limits the industry's actual liability and need to pay insurance premiums appropriate for losses leaving those of us who live near nukes without protection. The Nuclear Waste Policy Act of 1982 makes the federal government (us) liable for all the costs of storing and securing an ever-increasing amount of radioactive waste. There are many more examples and even though many of the laws and policies were passed during the era of the Cold War when we weren't expecting to build more nukes, now that things have changed the industry still is leaning on the public and there doesn't seem to be any ready way to make new rules for new times.

      What if all of us had someone else forever on the hook to pay to deal with our waste and our insurance no matter how much profit we made? The public is made to be the industry's insurance company, waste management company, security company, etc. and those costs are rarely, if ever, discussed when nuclear's cost per MW is debated compared to safe, clean renewables. Our police and fire departments all have to undergo specialized training, our hospital, too, and each needs special equipment to deal with the nuke as well. All purchased at taxpayer expense.

      Susan Dancer
      8 miles downwind

      --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, Philip Timmons <philiptimmons@...> wrote:

      > After the Fukey Nukey Ooppsy, can you believe this?
      >
      > ===============
      >
      > US new nuclear build before 2012
      >
      > AND
      >
      > U.S. Will Build Five New Nuclear Reactors by 2020, New Energy Finance Says
      >
      > http://www.nuclearenergyinsider.com/nuclear-construction-summit/News2.shtml
      >
      > ===============
      >
      > What can be done to shut this crap down?
      >
      > Saturate the market and destroy the profitability?
      >
      > Those articles say their largest problem is the low cost of Nat Gas -- keeping electricity prices down.
      >
      > If we low-ball the RE produced electricity market, we can undercut it further?
      >
      > Might as well make the "race to the bottom," serve us for the good?

    • Tyra Rankin
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 11, 2011

        Susan:

        As always – excellent post and comments.  We need to get the full costs recognized and borne by the industry – not the public.

        Tyra

        href="http://www.nuclearenergyinsider.com/nuclear-construction-summit/News2.shtml">http://www.nuclearenergyinsider.com/nuclear-construction-summit/News2.shtml

        > ===============
        >
        > What can be done to shut this crap down?
        >
        > Saturate the market and destroy the profitability?
        >
        > Those articles say their largest problem is the low cost of Nat Gas --
        keeping electricity prices down.

        > If we low-ball the RE produced electricity market, we can undercut it
        further?

        > Might as well make the "race to the bottom," serve us for the
        good?

      • Russell Warren
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 12, 2011
          This is somewhat off topic, but I wanted to see if anyone was interested in some free fiberglass insulation.

          My builder did a terrible job with the insulation in my house.  They didn't air seal anything, in some cases left wide open gaps all the way from the attic to the slab, and generally put way too little insulation.
          Last fall I took up about 1000 sq ft of my white blown in fiberglass (using a shop vac), bagged it up, and left it in my garage.  I then completely covered gaps and air sealed everything.  I decided to use blown in cellulose and really like the results after seeing the winter and summer seasons.

          I was going to add the old insulation to other parts of my attic, but have decided that this fall I am going to pull up the rest and air seal everything, which is another 1500 sq ft.  To keep it uniform and easy, I will probably use cellulose again.

          So long story short, I have about 20+ large garbage bags of mostly white blown in fiberglass, plus some yellow fiberglass batts that are looking for a good home.  I would rather not throw them away to a landfill.  I also will have another 30 bags later this year most likely.   If anyone is interested in this to add to their attic, please contact me to discuss.

          Russell

        • Stephanie Edwards-Musa
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 12, 2011
            Hi Russell,

            That's amazing.  I might be interested, where are you?

            Stephanie Edwards-Musa
            Mobile:  281-635-9444

            On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 7:11 PM, Russell Warren <russellrwarren@...> wrote:

[...]

          • Bashir Syed
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 7, 2011
              OIL, GAS and Nuclear lobbies are the most owerful in this country. I was in Shanghai, last year (May 2010) attending the SNEC PV Power Expo, where I ran into a distant relative of mine, Ph.D. in Nuclear Engineering from McGill University, who was hired as Project Manager, for two Power Reactors,  by a company of different name but part of old Westinghouse. They have the same design as used in Fukishyma units. Obama's plan to promote SOLAR or Green Energy is being undermined by a subsidiary of CATO institute, which published a book condemning Green Energy and its AD was published in Foreign Policy Magazine, June, 2011 to poson the minds of Foreign investors or people interested imn opting for Solar Energy Solutions.

              Bashir A. Syed
              Vice Pres., R&D
              Alt-EnergyTech, Inc.
              508 Texas Ave.,