Re: [hreg] Re: Electricity deregulation

  • Ryan McMullan
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 6, 2001
      According to GME, their power is 100% wind generated. They
      provide a state-mandated breakdown (by Coal and lignite, Natural gas,
      Nuclear, Renewable Energy) and their state-registered mix is 100%
      "Renewable Energy (wind)" (statewide average for Renewable is <1%). I
      think being a shareholder to get the inside track is a great idea,
      too. The closest stock I could find was Green Mountain Power (trades as
      GMP), which was trading at 15.51 today. I think that's the same or related
      company as Green Mountain Energy Company, but I'm not positive.

      Ryan

    • Michael Begley
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 6, 2001
        I asked them these questions. Here is what they said.
        The power they put on the grid will be 100% Texas wind power.
        They have three to six months from the time you use it to
        put it on the grid. They have a contract with a 300 Mw west Texas
        wind farm.
        So if their customers use power equivalent to a 500 Mw consumption
        in the summer, but only 100 Mw in the winter, it averages out.
        I am not sure what they do if they sign up more customers
        than they have power production.
        In other states, Green Mountain uses natural gas plants, and
        a small amount of wind and solar power, but here in Texas,
        the literature claims it to be 100% renewables. I shall watch
        and see.

        --
        --Mike
      • ChasMauch@aol.com
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 6, 2001
          I believe Green Mountain Power was the parent company from which Green
          Mountain Energy was spun off and became a separate, independent company. GMP
          is located in Vermont and gets its energy from a mix of sources including
          hydro, coal, and nuclear. GME has its office in Austin and uses all wind
          power. GMP is publicly traded on the stock exchange but unfortunately I think
          GME is privately held and its stock is not available to the general public.
          I'm not sure but think that is the case. According to some literature they
          gave me, you can get more company info from Eleanor Scott 512-691-6316 email
          eleanor.scott@... or Marci Grossman 512-691-6310 email
          marci.grossman@.... The website is www.greenmountain.com.
          Charlie