RE: [hreg] Speaking of air issues....

  • Tyra Rankin
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 5 11:56 AM

      Susan:

      Fantastic news!!  The good news is really that the connection between energy and water is being taken more seriously given the stresses occurring due to the drought.  It has forced LCRA to make better choices for water use, weighing in the harm to the environment.

      Just a heads up, CEN is doing a 2 day long conference in the winter on the nexus between water and energy.  Will provide more details later.

      Tyra

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 7 1:16 PM
        I remember reading some 15 years ago that future wars will be fought over water, and that was before Global Warming was fully realized. And the current drought is making things even worse. I'm hearing that the Hill Country is experiencing problems with their water turbines due to dried-up rivers. So it appears that these two resources are going to have to 'fight it out.'

        All of this underscores our goal to reduce and find better ways to produce energy.

        I'm currently working with a relatively new company, WES LED Technology, that is installing LEDs at several large entities to replace old--world lighting with LEDs, a move that will reduce their lighting bill by 60-90%, thus cutting their overall bill by as much as 50%. They have no gases and can be recycled as well.

        Anyone care to join me?  School districts can save enough to save hundreds of teacher jobs.

        Ron Foster

        --
        Ron Foster – President
        Solar Panels of America LLC
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 7 7:25 PM

          Ron:

          HISD has committed to energy efficient renovation of its facilities.

          http://www.houstonisd.org/portal/site/EnergyManagement/menuitem.c22ee21f761cc5b9cd9b7ce2c141f76a/?vgnextoid=6540aa6297c9e210VgnVCM10000028147fa6RCRD&vgnextchannel=437151993ea9e210VgnVCM10000028147fa6RCRD

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 7 9:30 PM
            Thanks, Tyra!

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 8 6:09 AM
              I work for a distributor of several major brands of LED lighting including CREE, Cooper and GE.
              By far (I would say a 5 to 1 ratio), the early adopters of LED lighting has been the oil & gas industry, especially refineries / chemical plants.

              The #1 reason for LED lighting is to reduce the load on existing circuits so they can add other devices without running new circuits or increasing their breaker size.
              They are also the ones with the most open budget for the up front cost.

              Russell

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 8 1:16 PM
                Ron wrote:
                I remember reading some 15 years ago that future wars will be fought over
                water, and that was before Global Warming was fully realized. And the
                current drought is making things even worse. I'm hearing that the Hill
                Country is experiencing problems with their water turbines due to dried-up
                rivers. So it appears that these two resources are going to have to 'fight
                it out.'

                You are so right, Ron.  Starting with Darfur, Turkey damming the Tigris and Euphrates, etc, etc.  History recurs.

                Check out: http://www.cechouston.org/2011/07/31/movie-blue-gold-world-water-wars/
                Wish I could go to it!
                Peace
                Ariel