skylight

  • betina wolfowicz
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 5, 2011
      I like the skylight in the dining room.. It illuminates the place real well.  Can anybody suggest a way to insulated it in the summer?   Are there any products such as skylight shades?  Would the mesh tarps they use to shade swimming pools do the job?  Betina
    • H.C. Clark
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 5, 2011
        It's best if the sun can be blocked before it hits the skylight, rather than a block inside the skylight.  So, some kind of reflector over the skylight [with some air flow] clamped to the skylight frame would minimize the problem.
      • Robert Johnston
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 5, 2011

          Aerogels are translucent yet good insulators.  They have been used in commercial skylights.  Google it.  Here is one example link:  http://www.wascoskylights.com/commercial/lumira_aerogel

          Robert Johnston

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 6, 2011
            Thank you Robert, it seems a very practical solution.

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 6, 2011
              Thank you.  I found www.skylightheatblockers.com   Perhaps it is cheaper than replacing the skylight with an aerogel...

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 13, 2011

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 13, 2011
                  They do sell solar screens.  Great thing I went over your letter again.  They tell you at Lowe's to set it up indoors.  But it would not make sense to do it that way right?  It needs to work like a hat.