RE: [hreg] Re: West-facing window heat gain issue

  • Scarsella, Thomas M. (JSC-IC8)[DB Consult
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 14, 2011

      True but the benefits are substantial.   Our e-door lets in more light and is better insulated certainly but it is also much quieter inside than it used to be with the new which is quite solid.  The glass survived being pelted by wind-blown debris during Ike and it would be very hard to break down.  We feel like we got a lot for what we paid though I know the other benefits are somewhat off-topic.

      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 14, 2011
        A good insulated door with smaller glass will do just fine.
        The height of the glass is more important than the area, so a narrow tall
        window will give very good ilumination, while reducing solar gain. It is
        not a standard stock item at home depot, you would need someone to make it
        custom for you.
        If you dont need view you could look at adding a glass transom above the
        door.
        All you would need is about 6 to 8 inches clear of glass vertially to give
        illumination equal to a 1/2 door glass insert. If the house is 1 story and
        the roof overhangs the door, you could use clear glazing because the roof
        overhang would protect the glass from all but the lowest sun.

        An option is an exterior vertical shade device. A rough sawn cedar frame
        with solar screen material will do an excellent job of reducing afternoon
        sun. Its placement would be important so as not to greatly reduce daylight
        gain too.

        If you just use a regular door with a regular window in it (home depot type
        stock item), I would add a 3M low E film called E-1235 to the glass. This
        film silvers a little in low light but reduces most solar gain(and 99%+ UV)
        but still lets a lot of visible light in. Last time I used it the material
        was less than 4$ a square foot.

        At 05:30 AM 7/14/2011 -0000, you wrote:
        > P.S.: I had a west-facing
        >door with internal operable blinds encased between the glasses at this same
        >property and the blinds did not operate well during the heat of the day due
        >to their expansion within the glass, so I have nixed that idea pretty much.
        >
        > --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com""<> wrote:
        >>
        >> I wonder if any of you can offer suggestions:
        >>
        >>""& wind powered clothes dryer (AKA my clothesline)is located. The door
        >has a very large gas-filled double paned glass window in it and the laundry
        >room would be very dark without the provided natural light. The door was
        >salvaged out of a UT remodel and I purchased it through the Habitat for
        >Humanity restore several years back, but it has seen better days and has a
        >large area of rot, and I need to replace it. It is one of only two
        >west-facing heat-absorbing features in my house. I did plant a small
        >lace-bark elm between the windowed door and the sun's most direct summer
        >arc, but the soil isn't great there and the poor little things struggling
        >to survive, much less grow into a great shade tree to keep the sun from
        >baking the door and sending its rays on into the house.
        >>
        >> So I wonder what you guys would do? Would you sacrifice the light and go
        >with a solid door? Put another windowed door in and put solar reflective
        >film on it? Rip out the small tree and plant something more substantial?
        >Are there options I'm not considering that come to mind? We hardly ever
        >use our electric heat system and so I'm not at all concerned about
        >maintaining the ability to gain heat from it in the winter months (the two
        >days of winter we have here) but I would hate to lose the natural light.
        >>
        >> Suggestions?
        >>
        >> Thanks,
        >> Susan
        >>

        > No virus found in this message.
        Roy Holder, AIA

        L.M. Holder III, FAIA
        Architects - Planners - Energy Consultants
        4202 Spicewood Springs Rd., Suite 214
        Austin, Texas 78759
        P.512.345.8817 ext.24
        F.512.345.2143 - M.512-422-0908

        www.holder3.com
      • Eileen Nehiley
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 14, 2011
          My experience with energy efficient & aesthetically pleasing exterior doors for 2/3 the cost of Home Depot or Lowe's or BMC:
          Bison Builders is a great economical place to get custom doors. I found much better selection for lower price & custom.
          It was a win - win for me. Custom side lights with double pane glass on either side of the beveled glass plus a special ordered fiberglass door - about 2/3 of what I'd have paid for something available at hardware stores that I didn't like.

          Eileen

        • betina wolfowicz
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 15, 2011
            Thanks for the tip Eileen, is Bison on the web?

> [...]

            >baking the door and sending its rays on into the house.
            >>
            >> So I wonder what you guys would do? Would you sacrifice the light and go
            >with a solid door? Put another windowed door in and put solar reflective
            >film on it? Rip out the small tree and plant something more substantial?
            >Are there options I'm not considering that come to mind? We hardly ever
            >use our electric heat system and so I'm not at all concerned about
            >maintaining the ability to gain heat from it in the winter months (the two
            >days of winter we have here) but I would hate to lose the natural light.
            >>
            >> Suggestions?
            >>
            >> Thanks,
            >> Susan
            >>

            > No virus found in this message.
            Roy Holder, AIA

            L.M. Holder III, FAIA
            Architects - Planners - Energy Consultants

          • SusanD
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 15, 2011
              Thanks to each of you for your suggestions!

              I tracked Bison down and managed to get transferred to "Dave" in the retail/millworks department and though they do offer a good selection of custom doors for very reasonable prices, he said they don't offer anything in the way of energy efficiency, do gas filled of high-E glazing, but just standard two-paned regular glazed glass, so I'm still searching.

              --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, betina wolfowicz <bwolfowicz@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for the tip Eileen, is Bison on the web?

            • Roy Holder
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 15, 2011
                you can oeder it without the glass and have a local glass company make and
                install the low e glass you want