Re: West-facing window heat gain issue

  • SusanD
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 13, 2011
      P.S.: I had a west-facing door with internal operable blinds encased between the glasses at this same property and the blinds did not operate well during the heat of the day due to their expansion within the glass, so I have nixed that idea pretty much.

      --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "SusanD" <texasblessings@...> wrote:

      > I wonder if any of you can offer suggestions:
      >
      > I have a 36" X 80" west-facing exterior door that goes out of my laundry room to my solar & wind powered clothes dryer (AKA my clothesline)is located. The door has a very large gas-filled double paned glass window in it and the laundry room would be very dark without the provided natural light. The door was salvaged out of a UT remodel and I purchased it through the Habitat for Humanity restore several years back, but it has seen better days and has a large area of rot, and I need to replace it. It is one of only two west-facing heat-absorbing features in my house. I did plant a small lace-bark elm between the windowed door and the sun's most direct summer arc, but the soil isn't great there and the poor little things struggling to survive, much less grow into a great shade tree to keep the sun from baking the door and sending its rays on into the house.
      >
      > So I wonder what you guys would do? Would you sacrifice the light and go with a solid door? Put another windowed door in and put solar reflective film on it? Rip out the small tree and plant something more substantial? Are there options I'm not considering that come to mind? We hardly ever use our electric heat system and so I'm not at all concerned about maintaining the ability to gain heat from it in the winter months (the two days of winter we have here) but I would hate to lose the natural light.
      >
      > Suggestions?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Susan

    • MIchele Arnold
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 14, 2011
        Re: [hreg] Re: West-facing window heat gain issue Dear Susan,
        I would replace the door with another that has a window and would put up a curtain on window – with backing that reflects the heat, just in the summer. I would also begin amending the soil around your struggling elm with composted material. I, too, hang my laundry and have endured taunts from my neighbors. Are you attending the HREG meeting on July 21?
        Best,
        Michele

        From: SusanD <texasblessings@...>
        Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 05:30:16 -0000
        To: <hreg@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [hreg] Re: West-facing window heat gain issue

        --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hreg%40yahoogroups.com> , "SusanD" <texasblessings@...> wrote:

        > I wonder if any of you can offer suggestions:
        >
        > I have a 36" X 80" west-facing exterior door that goes out of my laundry room to my solar & wind powered clothes dryer (AKA my clothesline)is located.  The door has a very large gas-filled double paned glass window in it and the laundry room would be very dark without the provided natural light.  The door was salvaged out of a UT remodel and I purchased it through the Habitat for Humanity restore several years back, but it has seen better days and has a large area of rot, and I need to replace it.  It is one of only two west-facing heat-absorbing features in my house.  I did plant a small lace-bark elm between the windowed door and the sun's most direct summer arc, but the soil isn't great there and the poor little things struggling to survive, much less grow into a great shade tree to keep the sun from baking the door and sending its rays on into the house.
        >
        > So I wonder what you guys would do?  Would you sacrifice the light and go with a solid door?  Put another windowed door in and put solar reflective film on it?  Rip out the small tree and plant something more substantial?  Are there options I'm not considering that come to mind?  We hardly ever use our electric heat system and so I'm not at all concerned about maintaining the ability to gain heat from it in the winter months (the two days of winter we have here) but I would hate to lose the natural light.
        >
        > Suggestions?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Susan

      • J P Malone
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 14, 2011

          Susan:

          ·        You are better off heat-wise to stop the solar heat before it enters the residence.  So adequate shrubbery shading is a good step.

          ·        You might consider a half-glass door, instead of full length glass, plus an awning over the door.

          ·        Also, using a storm door in front of the main door with reflective film with solar screens would still allow light through and reduce the heat getting to the main door.

          Good luck.

          P.S.: I had a west-facing door with internal operable blinds encased between the glasses at this same property and the blinds did not operate well during the heat of the day due to their expansion within the glass, so I have nixed that idea pretty much.

          --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "SusanD" <texasblessings@...> wrote:

          > I wonder if any of you can offer suggestions:
          >
          > I have a 36" X 80" west-facing exterior door that goes out of my laundry room to my solar & wind powered clothes dryer (AKA my clothesline)is located. The door has a very large gas-filled double paned glass window in it and the laundry room would be very dark without the provided natural light. The door was salvaged out of a UT remodel and I purchased it through the Habitat for Humanity restore several years back, but it has seen better days and has a large area of rot, and I need to replace it. It is one of only two west-facing heat-absorbing features in my house. I did plant a small lace-bark elm between the windowed door and the sun's most direct summer arc, but the soil isn't great there and the poor little things struggling to survive, much less grow into a great shade tree to keep the sun from baking the door and sending its rays on into the house.
          >
          > So I wonder what you guys would do? Would you sacrifice the light and go with a solid door? Put another windowed door in and put solar reflective film on it? Rip out the small tree and plant something more substantial? Are there options I'm not considering that come to mind? We hardly ever use our electric heat system and so I'm not at all concerned about maintaining the ability to gain heat from it in the winter months (the two days of winter we have here) but I would hate to lose the natural light.
          >
          > Suggestions?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Susan

        • SusanD
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 14, 2011
            I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to attend the meeting yet. I would love to get to come and to meet everybody!! My daughter just had a baby and they live in New Braunfels, so I've had to be on the road quite a lot and am not sure, yet, what next weekend holds in store for me.

            Thanks for all the suggestions!!

            Susan

            --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, MIchele Arnold <mawriter666@...> wrote:

            > Dear Susan,
            > I would replace the door with another that has a window and would put up a
            > curtain on window ­ with backing that reflects the heat, just in the summer.
            > I would also begin amending the soil around your struggling elm with
            > composted material. I, too, hang my laundry and have endured taunts from my
            > neighbors. Are you attending the HREG meeting on July 21?
            > Best,
            > Michele
            >

            > From: SusanD <texasblessings@...>
            > Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 05:30:16 -0000
            > To: <hreg@yahoogroups.com>
            > Subject: [hreg] Re: West-facing window heat gain issue
            >

            > P.S.: I had a west-facing door with internal operable blinds encased
            > between the glasses at this same property and the blinds did not operate
            > well during the heat of the day due to their expansion within the glass, so
            > I have nixed that idea pretty much.
            >
            > --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hreg%40yahoogroups.com> , "SusanD"
            > <texasblessings@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I wonder if any of you can offer suggestions:
            > >
            > > I have a 36" X 80" west-facing exterior door that goes out of my laundry room
            > to my solar & wind powered clothes dryer (AKA my clothesline)is located. The
            > door has a very large gas-filled double paned glass window in it and the laundry
            > room would be very dark without the provided natural light. The door was
            > salvaged out of a UT remodel and I purchased it through the Habitat for Humanity
            > restore several years back, but it has seen better days and has a large area of
            > rot, and I need to replace it. It is one of only two west-facing heat-absorbing
            > features in my house. I did plant a small lace-bark elm between the windowed
            > door and the sun's most direct summer arc, but the soil isn't great there and
            > the poor little things struggling to survive, much less grow into a great shade
            > tree to keep the sun from baking the door and sending its rays on into the
            > house.
            > >
            > > So I wonder what you guys would do? Would you sacrifice the light and go with
            > a solid door? Put another windowed door in and put solar reflective film on it?
            > Rip out the small tree and plant something more substantial? Are there options
            > I'm not considering that come to mind? We hardly ever use our electric heat
            > system and so I'm not at all concerned about maintaining the ability to gain
            > heat from it in the winter months (the two days of winter we have here) but I
            > would hate to lose the natural light.
            > >
            > > Suggestions?
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > > Susan

          • Scarsella, Thomas M. (JSC-IC8)[DB Consult
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 14, 2011

              I’d go with another door with a double-paned window.  We replaced an old wooden, South-facing, door with one of the newer energy-efficient ones and the inside of the new one is cool to the touch where the old solid one was not.  I don’t think you have to choose between light and energy efficiency.

              P.S.: I had a west-facing door with internal operable blinds encased between the glasses at this same property and the blinds did not operate well during the heat of the day due to their expansion within the glass, so I have nixed that idea pretty much.

              --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "SusanD" <texasblessings@...> wrote:

              > I wonder if any of you can offer suggestions:
              >
              > I have a 36" X 80" west-facing exterior door that goes out of my laundry room to my solar & wind powered clothes dryer (AKA my clothesline)is located. The door has a very large gas-filled double paned glass window in it and the laundry room would be very dark without the provided natural light. The door was salvaged out of a UT remodel and I purchased it through the Habitat for Humanity restore several years back, but it has seen better days and has a large area of rot, and I need to replace it. It is one of only two west-facing heat-absorbing features in my house. I did plant a small lace-bark elm between the windowed door and the sun's most direct summer arc, but the soil isn't great there and the poor little things struggling to survive, much less grow into a great shade tree to keep the sun from baking the door and sending its rays on into the house.
              >
              > So I wonder what you guys would do? Would you sacrifice the light and go with a solid door? Put another windowed door in and put solar reflective film on it? Rip out the small tree and plant something more substantial? Are there options I'm not considering that come to mind? We hardly ever use our electric heat system and so I'm not at all concerned about maintaining the ability to gain heat from it in the winter months (the two days of winter we have here) but I would hate to lose the natural light.
              >
              > Suggestions?
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Susan

            • Gino Griego
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 14, 2011
                If your budget is a concern, try a heavy drape/curtain in front of the door to establish a thermal barrier between the door and the inside. The low e doors are great, however the return on investment Will be measured in decades not years.

                Thanks,

                Gino

                Sent from my iPhone

                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 14, 2011

                  True but the benefits are substantial.   Our e-door lets in more light and is better insulated certainly but it is also much quieter inside than it used to be with the new which is quite solid.  The glass survived being pelted by wind-blown debris during Ike and it would be very hard to break down.  We feel like we got a lot for what we paid though I know the other benefits are somewhat off-topic.

                  P.S.: I had a west-facing door with internal operable blinds encased between the glasses at this same property and the blinds did not operate well during the heat of the day due to their expansion within the glass, so I have nixed that idea pretty much.

                  --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "SusanD" <texasblessings@...> wrote:

                  > I wonder if any of you can offer suggestions:
                  >
                  > I have a 36" X 80" west-facing exterior door that goes out of my laundry room to my solar & wind powered clothes dryer (AKA my clothesline)is located. The door has a very large gas-filled double paned glass window in it and the laundry room would be very dark without the provided natural light. The door was salvaged out of a UT remodel and I purchased it through the Habitat for Humanity restore several years back, but it has seen better days and has a large area of rot, and I need to replace it. It is one of only two west-facing heat-absorbing features in my house. I did plant a small lace-bark elm between the windowed door and the sun's most direct summer arc, but the soil isn't great there and the poor little things struggling to survive, much less grow into a great shade tree to keep the sun from baking the door and sending its rays on into the house.
                  >
                  > So I wonder what you guys would do? Would you sacrifice the light and go with a solid door? Put another windowed door in and put solar reflective film on it? Rip out the small tree and plant something more substantial? Are there options I'm not considering that come to mind? We hardly ever use our electric heat system and so I'm not at all concerned about maintaining the ability to gain heat from it in the winter months (the two days of winter we have here) but I would hate to lose the natural light.
                  >
                  > Suggestions?
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Susan

                • Roy Holder
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 14, 2011
                    A good insulated door with smaller glass will do just fine.
                    The height of the glass is more important than the area, so a narrow tall
                    window will give very good ilumination, while reducing solar gain. It is
                    not a standard stock item at home depot, you would need someone to make it
                    custom for you.
                    If you dont need view you could look at adding a glass transom above the
                    door.
                    All you would need is about 6 to 8 inches clear of glass vertially to give
                    illumination equal to a 1/2 door glass insert. If the house is 1 story and
                    the roof overhangs the door, you could use clear glazing because the roof
                    overhang would protect the glass from all but the lowest sun.

                    An option is an exterior vertical shade device. A rough sawn cedar frame
                    with solar screen material will do an excellent job of reducing afternoon
                    sun. Its placement would be important so as not to greatly reduce daylight
                    gain too.

                    If you just use a regular door with a regular window in it (home depot type
                    stock item), I would add a 3M low E film called E-1235 to the glass. This
                    film silvers a little in low light but reduces most solar gain(and 99%+ UV)
                    but still lets a lot of visible light in. Last time I used it the material
                    was less than 4$ a square foot.

                    At 05:30 AM 7/14/2011 -0000, you wrote:
                    > P.S.: I had a west-facing
                    >door with internal operable blinds encased between the glasses at this same
                    >property and the blinds did not operate well during the heat of the day due
                    >to their expansion within the glass, so I have nixed that idea pretty much.
                    >
                    > --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com""<> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> I wonder if any of you can offer suggestions:
                    >>
                    >>""& wind powered clothes dryer (AKA my clothesline)is located. The door
                    >has a very large gas-filled double paned glass window in it and the laundry
                    >room would be very dark without the provided natural light. The door was
                    >salvaged out of a UT remodel and I purchased it through the Habitat for
                    >Humanity restore several years back, but it has seen better days and has a
                    >large area of rot, and I need to replace it. It is one of only two
                    >west-facing heat-absorbing features in my house. I did plant a small
                    >lace-bark elm between the windowed door and the sun's most direct summer
                    >arc, but the soil isn't great there and the poor little things struggling
                    >to survive, much less grow into a great shade tree to keep the sun from
                    >baking the door and sending its rays on into the house.
                    >>
                    >> So I wonder what you guys would do? Would you sacrifice the light and go
                    >with a solid door? Put another windowed door in and put solar reflective
                    >film on it? Rip out the small tree and plant something more substantial?
                    >Are there options I'm not considering that come to mind? We hardly ever
                    >use our electric heat system and so I'm not at all concerned about
                    >maintaining the ability to gain heat from it in the winter months (the two
                    >days of winter we have here) but I would hate to lose the natural light.
                    >>
                    >> Suggestions?
                    >>
                    >> Thanks,
                    >> Susan
                    >>

                    > No virus found in this message.
                    Roy Holder, AIA

                    L.M. Holder III, FAIA
                    Architects - Planners - Energy Consultants
                    4202 Spicewood Springs Rd., Suite 214
                    Austin, Texas 78759
                    P.512.345.8817 ext.24
                    F.512.345.2143 - M.512-422-0908

                    www.holder3.com
                  • Eileen Nehiley
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 14, 2011
                      My experience with energy efficient & aesthetically pleasing exterior doors for 2/3 the cost of Home Depot or Lowe's or BMC:
                      Bison Builders is a great economical place to get custom doors. I found much better selection for lower price & custom.
                      It was a win - win for me. Custom side lights with double pane glass on either side of the beveled glass plus a special ordered fiberglass door - about 2/3 of what I'd have paid for something available at hardware stores that I didn't like.

                      Eileen

                    • betina wolfowicz
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 15, 2011
                        Thanks for the tip Eileen, is Bison on the web?

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 15, 2011
                          Thanks to each of you for your suggestions!

                          I tracked Bison down and managed to get transferred to "Dave" in the retail/millworks department and though they do offer a good selection of custom doors for very reasonable prices, he said they don't offer anything in the way of energy efficiency, do gas filled of high-E glazing, but just standard two-paned regular glazed glass, so I'm still searching.

                          --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, betina wolfowicz <bwolfowicz@...> wrote:

                          > Thanks for the tip Eileen, is Bison on the web?

                        • Roy Holder
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 15, 2011
                            you can oeder it without the glass and have a local glass company make and
                            install the low e glass you want