Re: [hreg] Re: Ponder this

  • Andrea Wisner
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 29, 2011
      Obviously it's an extremely complex issue and there are environmental costs vs. human costs. There is the ethics of behavior of (economically, militarily) stronger countries toward weaker countries. We don't want to encourage US companies operating in foreign countries or foreign companies to produce "cheap" (even if high quality) goods while polluting these countries, without recourse, in the process, or to exploit their workers, for example. The best we can do is to hold ourselves, US companies, and our governments accountable.

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 30, 2011
        Andrea I agree with you and this is indeed a provocative and thorny issue.  I am against sweat shops and yet we all profit from them when we buy "sale" goods.

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 3, 2011
          We also need to remember that we have sweat shops right here! There is all kinds of
          slave labor and sweat shops going on in the United States so we can't be one sided. The one thing we can do is try to make the best decisions and to conserve.

          1. Needed gift for little boy's birthday.
          2. Looking for bowling pins.
          3. Looked in toy stores in Old Town Spring and Specialty toy shops in Woodlands
             (trying to buy from little guys)
          4. Can't find any made in USA in the small shops...
          5. Found in Toys are Us..... bought..... delivered..... everyone is happy!

          You might say that I went around too many times for one item but I didn't. I shopped while
          I was already out and about. I knew I could get the 5 dollar bowling pins at Dollar General that were made in China (nothing against China) but I resisted temptation. The key is conscience versus convienience. We just have to change our mind sets. I find that I hardly
          need to buy anything.... I just buy. Now, I make an effort to think before I buy. This is true for almost all of my actions including recycling, composting, how I drive, etc.....
          Evelyn