Re: [hreg] Re: Ponder this

  • Andrea Wisner
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 28, 2011
      Buying locally made is a nice idea and all, but there's a global balance, and when you have the US taking raw materials from other countries, refusing to allow substantial immigration from those same countries, and then refusing to buy any finished products from those countries, you have created a powder keg.

      I'm sure that's way more political than this group expects, but just my 5 cents.

      I'm personally for keeping trade and immigration to the minimums necessary and "fair." Best is for local areas to be as self-sufficient as possible. That is not what we have.

      From: Ariel Thomann <ajthomann@...>
      Subject: [hreg] Re: Ponder this
      To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, June 28, 2011, 3:45 PM

      Yes but... has anybody seen "Made in USA" on a TV (etc) in the past 10 years or so?
      Peace
      Ariel

      FW: Ponder this

      Posted by: "Garth & Kim Travis" gartht@...   airdriel

      Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:14 am (PDT)

      Greetings,
      While this specifies Canada at the end, it should read North America. I
      thank my brother for sending me this one, it makes it's point rather well.

      The need to buy local is real, it is hurting all of us. Yes, it may

      cost more initially, but in the long run, it is the cheaper alternative.

      */To:/**/Subject:/* Ponder this

      *Ponder this:*

      AIN'T IT THE TRUTH!!?

      Joe Smith started the day early having set his
      alarm clock
      (MADE IN JAPAN )for 6am.
      While his coffeepot
      (MADE IN CHINA )
      was perking, he shaved with his
      electric razor
      (MADE IN HONG KONG ).
      He put on a
      dress shirt
      (MADE IN SRI LANKA ),
      designer jeans
      (MADE IN SINGAPORE )
      and
      tennis shoes
      (MADE IN KOREA )
      After cooking his breakfast in his new
      electric skillet
      (MADE IN INDIA )
      he sat down with his
      calculator
      (MADE IN MEXICO )
      to see how much he could spend today. After setting his
      watch
      (MADE IN TAIWAN )
      to the radio
      (MADE IN INDIA )
      he got in his car
      (MADE IN GERMANY )
      filled it with GAS
      (from Saudi Arabia)
      and continued his search
      for a good paying job.
      At the end
      of yet another discouraging
      and fruitless day
      checking his
      Computer
      (Made In Malaysia ),
      Joe decided to relax for a while.
      He put on his sandals
      (MADE IN BRAZIL )
      poured himself a glass of
      wine
      (MADE IN FRANCE )
      and turned on his
      TV
      (MADE IN INDONESIA ),
      and then wondered
      why he can't find
      a good paying job
      *in **CANADA**.*
      Y'all gotta Keep this one circulating, please.!

    • Jay Ring
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 29, 2011
        I like to buy locally to the extent that it reduces transportation costs and improves resiliency (economic and ecologic)

        I also am willing to pay for good products, and there is some truth to the popular notion that a lot of foreign products are poor quality.

        But I don't have a problem buying foreign products in a broad, general sense. If you have a hard working guy in India (say), and he's making a good product, I buy it.

        I don't feel like I have an obligation to people in Pittsburgh (say), to support them in their comfortable lifestyle, while this guy in India is really really poor, working hard and making a quality products.

        Is the only problem that he's living in the wrong country? If he moved to Pittsburgh then everything would be fine?

        It just seems unfair to say you aren't buying it from the Indian just because he's from India. How is that fair?

        --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, Andrea Wisner <amwisner@...> wrote:

        > Buying locally made is a nice idea and all, but there's a global balance, and when you have the US taking raw materials from other countries, refusing to allow substantial immigration from those same countries, and then refusing to buy any finished products from those countries, you have created a powder keg.
        >
        > I'm sure that's way more political than this group expects, but just my 5 cents.
        >
        > I'm personally for keeping trade and immigration to the minimums necessary and "fair." Best is for local areas to be as self-sufficient as possible. That is not what we have.

      • Alyssa Burgin
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 29, 2011
          It isn't a matter of politics, or even one of transportation 'costs'--unless you take that to mean real cost to the Earth.

          Buying local, whether that means from the bagel shop down the street or the cannery in Louisiana, has to mean choosing goods which have incurred the least carbon cost in their transportation. Just because our society has 'progressed' to a point where goods can be imported cheaply does not mean we should contribute in this way to a greater emissions problem. Flowers brought in from South America? Draperies from Indonesia? Not for me, thanks, I don't want to be any more of a part of climate change than I already am.

          Alyssa Burgin

          Sent from my Samsung Replenish

        • Garth & Kim Travis
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 29, 2011

            So, the guy working in India does a good job, wonderful. Unfortunately,
            he pays his taxes to the Indian government to support their
            infrastructure of police, courts, military, government programs etc.

            Meanwhile, our infrastructure is not being paid for. I will agree, our
            government wastes more money than it uses wisely, but, still the next
            few generations are going to be mighty upset with us when they inherit
            our debts.

            And no, you should not support anyone who is doing shoddy workmanship.
            The assumption is that the North American made is of an equal or better
            quality, then buy local. If the foreign product is better quality, then
            the American manufacturers need to know that, and that means not buying.
            Voting with our dollars, it is the real power of the citizenship.

            Bright Blessings,
            Garth & Kim Travis
            www.TheRoseColoredForest.com
            Bedias, Texas
            936-395-0110

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 29, 2011
              Obviously it's an extremely complex issue and there are environmental costs vs. human costs. There is the ethics of behavior of (economically, militarily) stronger countries toward weaker countries. We don't want to encourage US companies operating in foreign countries or foreign companies to produce "cheap" (even if high quality) goods while polluting these countries, without recourse, in the process, or to exploit their workers, for example. The best we can do is to hold ourselves, US companies, and our governments accountable.

              I like to buy locally to the extent that it reduces transportation costs and improves resiliency (economic and ecologic)

              I also am willing to pay for good products, and there is some truth to the popular notion that a lot of foreign products are poor quality.

              But I don't have a problem buying foreign products in a broad, general sense. If you have a hard working guy in India (say), and he's making a good product, I buy it.

              I don't feel like I have an obligation to people in Pittsburgh (say), to support them in their comfortable lifestyle, while this guy in India is really really poor, working hard and making a quality products.

              Is the only problem that he's living in the wrong country? If he moved to Pittsburgh then everything would be fine?

              It just seems unfair to say you aren't buying it from the Indian just because he's from India. How is that fair?

              --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, Andrea Wisner <amwisner@...> wrote:

              > Buying locally made is a nice idea and all, but there's a global balance, and when you have the US taking raw materials from other countries, refusing to allow substantial immigration from those same countries, and then refusing to buy any finished products from those countries, you have created a powder keg.
              >
              > I'm sure that's way more political than this group expects, but just my 5 cents.
              >
              > I'm personally for keeping trade and immigration to the minimums necessary and "fair." Best is for local areas to be as self-sufficient as possible. That is not what we have.

            • betina wolfowicz
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 30, 2011
                Andrea I agree with you and this is indeed a provocative and thorny issue.  I am against sweat shops and yet we all profit from them when we buy "sale" goods.

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 3, 2011
                  We also need to remember that we have sweat shops right here! There is all kinds of
                  slave labor and sweat shops going on in the United States so we can't be one sided. The one thing we can do is try to make the best decisions and to conserve.

                  1. Needed gift for little boy's birthday.
                  2. Looking for bowling pins.
                  3. Looked in toy stores in Old Town Spring and Specialty toy shops in Woodlands
                     (trying to buy from little guys)
                  4. Can't find any made in USA in the small shops...
                  5. Found in Toys are Us..... bought..... delivered..... everyone is happy!

                  You might say that I went around too many times for one item but I didn't. I shopped while
                  I was already out and about. I knew I could get the 5 dollar bowling pins at Dollar General that were made in China (nothing against China) but I resisted temptation. The key is conscience versus convienience. We just have to change our mind sets. I find that I hardly
                  need to buy anything.... I just buy. Now, I make an effort to think before I buy. This is true for almost all of my actions including recycling, composting, how I drive, etc.....
                  Evelyn