Re: [hreg] New Engine 100 MPG

  • Charles Seaman
    Message 1 of 9 , May 5, 2011

      From: J P Malone <JPMALONE@...>
      To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sun, April 17, 2011 1:55:01 PM
      Subject: [hreg] New Engine 100 MPG

      Here is the enclosure and there is a video with the german engineer to explain how it works.

      Pretty interesting.

      Ken Ruiz was the CO of Bon Homme Richard (US aircraft carrier) in 1967 when I was Sqd CO aboard. He is a WWII hero. Read his book "Luck of the Draw" for details.  Marv.

      Subject: RE: New Engine 100 MPG

      In WW II I was engineering officer for about two years on a submarine with 4 opposed piston Fairbanks Morse diesel engines.  The Navy copied the engine from railroad engines which were well tested and reliable.  They were very efficient and most important to us did not smoke and give away our position.

      These are the engines that the railroads now advertise as moving a ton 500 miles on a gallon of fuel

      We used to go 1500 to 2000 miles into enemy territory and stay about two months with no support for the engines and would almost always return to port with all four still working.

      I always wondered why they were not used on more land vehicles.

    • Tyra Rankin
      Message 2 of 9 , May 5, 2011

        Do you have the URL?

        Tyra

        Message 3 of 9 , May 6, 2011

          http://www.engineeringtv.com/video/Opposed-Piston-Opposed-Cylinder

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72PjK7BZvT4

          For more search on opposing piston engine or opoc (opposing engine, opposing cylinder)

          Message 4 of 9 , May 6, 2011

            Correction. OPOC stands for Opposing Piston, Opposing Cylinder.

            For more search on opposing piston engine or opoc (opposing engine, opposing cylinder)

            Message 5 of 9 , May 7, 2011
              Years ago I think Ingersol-Rand used this design in oilfield applications.  I recall someone referring to them as submarine engines & saying they had opposed pistons.

              HHH