RE: [hreg] Re: Green Mountain Energy Company Launches Renewable RewardsR Solar Lease Program in Texas

  • Jimmy Garrett
    Message 1 of 3 , May 4, 2011

      The cost does vary based on the specific details of each installation, but most of them I’ve seen so far have been between .12/kwh and .14/kwh on the prepaid lease option. This seems to be the only option that makes sense, considering that .12/kwh may be an average price today, over the 20 year life of the lease and warranty, .12 is going to look very very cheap. Not to mention that someone else is now responsible for insuring, monitoring and maintaining the array equipment and when that 10 year invert warranty runs out and it fails, the leasing company picks up the replacement tab rather than the homeowner.

       On the monthly lease option, however, there is definitely a premium that extends pretty far above what you would reasonable pay for retail electricity in the foreseeable future. It’s about like purchasing a solar system on a credit card. May make you feel warm and fuzzy inside to know it’s clean and green, but it’s not a great investment.