Re: [hreg] water heater

  • David M. Eggleston
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2001
      Mike,

      It isn't kosher to use the cleanout valve and popoff valve unless
      their function is still served by other valves in the system. It is
      possible, I suppose, to have a pop-off valve in the solar collector
      line, but that means that the whole solar collector and piping must be
      able to withstand the pressure at which the valve pops off. And higher
      if the pop-off valve gets stuck by corrosion. Also, any corrosion gunk
      in the water heater will circulate through the solar collector. Is the
      solar collector built so that it can be cleaned out?
      Such a system could work, but it also may have problems. I rather
      doubt it would pass any code inspections, although even that is
      possible. It might be a great hassle to get it done though.

      David

      mike schmitt wrote:

      > Mike,Thanks for the reply...for right now I'm looking at a unit called
      > the fireball from Cetsolar in Oregon. its about 1700 dollars. another
      > company I found will sell you the part to build your own unit. I'm
      > very handy so I'm not afraid to do it myself. just wanted to make sure
      > that it will be efficient...let me know if I can make one just as good
      > as a store bought one I realize that there isn't much to
      > it..collector, pump, tubing and a couple of valves. The one I was
      > looking at connects at the bottom of the water heater through the
      > cleanout valve, flows through the collector and back into the pressure
      > pop off valve. Second project that I'm thinking of is...I would love
      > to hook up my ceiling fans and my computer in the house to a solar
      > panel. I thought this would be a good place to start learning about
      > solar energy production. Then work my way up. thanks Mike
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      [Check out great fares at Orbitz!]