Re: water heater

  • chuck-wright@ieee.org
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2001
      Hi Mike,

      When my SWH tank died, I adapted a stock electric unit.
      My first attempt was attaching like you mention. My
      experience was that natural convection currents caused
      unacceptable heat loss, even with a check valve in the
      loop (but it was not a spring loaded check). So beware of
      this arrangement. My second attempt runs water in and out
      through the drain hole, using a concentric pipe arrangement. It is
      working extremely well. It is written up at
      http://chuck-wright.com/projects/hotwater.html.

      I do fear the time when scale buildup on the bottom clogs
      my pipes, however.

      Temperatures as I type: 167F top, 163F
      bottom.

      - Chuck Wright

      --- In hreg@y..., "mike schmitt" <mschmitt@h...> wrote:
      > Mike,
      > Thanks for the reply...for right now I'm looking at a unit called
      the fireball from Cetsolar in Oregon. its about 1700 dollars. another
      company I found will sell you the part to build your own unit. I'm
      very handy so I'm not afraid to do it myself. just wanted to make sure
      that it will be efficient...let me know if I can make one just as good
      as a store bought one

      > I realize that there isn't much to it..collector, pump, tubing and a
      couple of valves.

      > The one I was looking at connects at the bottom of the water heater
      through the cleanout valve, flows through the collector and back into
      the pressure pop off valve.

      > Second project that I'm thinking of is...I would love to hook up my
      ceiling fans and my computer in the house to a solar panel. I thought
      this would be a good place to start learning about solar energy
      production. Then work my way up.

      > thanks
      >
      > Mike
    • David M. Eggleston
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2001
        Mike,

        It isn't kosher to use the cleanout valve and popoff valve unless
        their function is still served by other valves in the system. It is
        possible, I suppose, to have a pop-off valve in the solar collector
        line, but that means that the whole solar collector and piping must be
        able to withstand the pressure at which the valve pops off. And higher
        if the pop-off valve gets stuck by corrosion. Also, any corrosion gunk
        in the water heater will circulate through the solar collector. Is the
        solar collector built so that it can be cleaned out?
        Such a system could work, but it also may have problems. I rather
        doubt it would pass any code inspections, although even that is
        possible. It might be a great hassle to get it done though.

        David

        mike schmitt wrote:

        > Mike,Thanks for the reply...for right now I'm looking at a unit called
        > the fireball from Cetsolar in Oregon. its about 1700 dollars. another
        > company I found will sell you the part to build your own unit. I'm
        > very handy so I'm not afraid to do it myself. just wanted to make sure
        > that it will be efficient...let me know if I can make one just as good
        > as a store bought one I realize that there isn't much to
        > it..collector, pump, tubing and a couple of valves. The one I was
        > looking at connects at the bottom of the water heater through the
        > cleanout valve, flows through the collector and back into the pressure
        > pop off valve. Second project that I'm thinking of is...I would love
        > to hook up my ceiling fans and my computer in the house to a solar
        > panel. I thought this would be a good place to start learning about
        > solar energy production. Then work my way up. thanks Mike
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        [Check out great fares at Orbitz!]