RE: [hreg] FW: Electric Auto Shop

  • Andrea Wisner
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 12, 2011
      Great! Looking forward to receiving the details when they are available. Is there a website?

      Andrea

      From: Tyra Rankin < tyra@... >
      To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, April 11, 2011, 7:10 PM

      George:

      I would like to visit with you about your educational program.  I am with Clean Economy Network.  We have an EV event scheduled on May 24th at the Houston Community College .  The director of HCC’s Energy Institute is partnered with us, as is a local EV org, HEAA.  We will provide event details, but at the very least, please plan to attend and meet a number of people who can help further your educational program.  The Mayor’s office and NRG are panel speakers.

      Tyra Rankin

      From: ralph parrott <ralph.parrott@...>
      Subject: [hreg] FW: Electric Auto Shop
      To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, April 11, 2011, 5:51 PM

      Thoughts anyone.

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 12, 2011
        Sounds like this is more lacking a business model than a location?

        Locations are cheap and plentiful, but what I am hearing George Cilley / Electric Auto Shop say is they lack the 25% "match."

        The match part and filling in that "blank" portion of the funding is the name-of-the-game in all the stimulus and renewable energy grants these days.

        Real deal is creative accounting can make the 25% appear from the 75% give-away, but there are some ethical issues in doing that.

        The real legit question is -- is there enough of a "thing of value" created at the 25% level by doing this?  The goal of the matching game is that the project have a worth of at least that.

        So if on a per-unit basis where the total presented cost of the course is:  $10K  or $100K  or $1000K -- is there a product created that is worth $2500 or $25K or $250K?

        Like maybe for the:25% net worth --

        If $10K a net worth of $2500 -- a low-speed, long distance vehicle suitable rural mail delivery, or
        If $100K a net worth of $25K -- a delivery truck for a UPS, FedEx, or Bread Stores, or
        If $1000K a net worth of $250K -- a fully electric bus for city, school, (or National Park -- whole other funding source, there) applications.

        If so, this can fund itself.  If even that basic 25% return of the sunk cost cannot be recovered . . .  maybe not.

        On the other hand, if the folks interested in are willing to work Electric Vehicles Beyond Batteries (mho, Electric Car Mindset + Batteries is very much Been There Done That and seems as stuck on batteries as Internal Combustion Engines are stuck on Oil), I think I can get some sponsors and funding.

        But dunno if they can leave their batteries behind.