water heater

  • mike schmitt
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2001
      Mike,
      Thanks for the reply...for right now I'm looking at a unit called the fireball from Cetsolar in Oregon. its about 1700 dollars. another company I found will sell you the part to build your own unit. I'm very handy so I'm not afraid to do it myself. just wanted to make sure that it will be efficient...let me know if I can make one just as good as a store bought one

      I realize that there isn't much to it..collector, pump, tubing and a couple of valves.

      The one I was looking at connects at the bottom of the water heater through the cleanout valve, flows through the collector and back into the pressure pop off valve.

      Second project that I'm thinking of is...I would love to hook up my ceiling fans and my computer in the house to a solar panel. I thought this would be a good place to start learning about solar energy production.  Then work my way up.

      thanks

      Mike
    • chuck-wright@ieee.org
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2001
        Hi Mike,

        When my SWH tank died, I adapted a stock electric unit.
        My first attempt was attaching like you mention. My
        experience was that natural convection currents caused
        unacceptable heat loss, even with a check valve in the
        loop (but it was not a spring loaded check). So beware of
        this arrangement. My second attempt runs water in and out
        through the drain hole, using a concentric pipe arrangement. It is
        working extremely well. It is written up at
        http://chuck-wright.com/projects/hotwater.html.

        I do fear the time when scale buildup on the bottom clogs
        my pipes, however.

        Temperatures as I type: 167F top, 163F
        bottom.

        - Chuck Wright

        --- In hreg@y..., "mike schmitt" <mschmitt@h...> wrote:
        > Mike,
        > Thanks for the reply...for right now I'm looking at a unit called
        the fireball from Cetsolar in Oregon. its about 1700 dollars. another
        company I found will sell you the part to build your own unit. I'm
        very handy so I'm not afraid to do it myself. just wanted to make sure
        that it will be efficient...let me know if I can make one just as good
        as a store bought one

        > I realize that there isn't much to it..collector, pump, tubing and a
        couple of valves.

        > The one I was looking at connects at the bottom of the water heater
        through the cleanout valve, flows through the collector and back into
        the pressure pop off valve.

        > Second project that I'm thinking of is...I would love to hook up my
        ceiling fans and my computer in the house to a solar panel. I thought
        this would be a good place to start learning about solar energy
        production. Then work my way up.

        > thanks
        >
        > Mike
      • David M. Eggleston
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 2, 2001
          Mike,

          It isn't kosher to use the cleanout valve and popoff valve unless
          their function is still served by other valves in the system. It is
          possible, I suppose, to have a pop-off valve in the solar collector
          line, but that means that the whole solar collector and piping must be
          able to withstand the pressure at which the valve pops off. And higher
          if the pop-off valve gets stuck by corrosion. Also, any corrosion gunk
          in the water heater will circulate through the solar collector. Is the
          solar collector built so that it can be cleaned out?
          Such a system could work, but it also may have problems. I rather
          doubt it would pass any code inspections, although even that is
          possible. It might be a great hassle to get it done though.

          David

          mike schmitt wrote:

          > Mike,Thanks for the reply...for right now I'm looking at a unit called
          > the fireball from Cetsolar in Oregon. its about 1700 dollars. another
          > company I found will sell you the part to build your own unit. I'm
          > very handy so I'm not afraid to do it myself. just wanted to make sure
          > that it will be efficient...let me know if I can make one just as good
          > as a store bought one I realize that there isn't much to
          > it..collector, pump, tubing and a couple of valves. The one I was
          > looking at connects at the bottom of the water heater through the
          > cleanout valve, flows through the collector and back into the pressure
          > pop off valve. Second project that I'm thinking of is...I would love
          > to hook up my ceiling fans and my computer in the house to a solar
          > panel. I thought this would be a good place to start learning about
          > solar energy production. Then work my way up. thanks Mike
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          [Check out great fares at Orbitz!]