Re: [hreg] Game Changers (Oops - sent wrong link to the DVD)

  • chasmauch@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6, 2011
      Here is the right link to the trailer: http://www.sonyclassics.com/whokilledtheelectriccar/

      Charle

      In a message dated 4/6/2011 10:27:02 P.M. Central Daylight Time, ChasMauch@... writes:
      We need to understand what we are up against when trying to change our economy from dependence on oil and switch to renewables. Our present dependence on the automobile was not an accident. Other interests were at work besides subsidies and market forces.

      I have a DVD entitled "Who killed the electric car?" which tells a very interesting story about what happened and why, which we might want to view at one of our meetings. A trailer can be viewed at this link:  http://www.sonyclassics.com/whokilledtheelectriccar/electric.html

      Another story entitled "Taken for a Ride" reveals the tragic and little known story of an auto and oil industry campaign, led by General Motors, to buy and dismantle streetcar lines. Across the nation, tracks were torn up, sometimes overnight, and diesel buses placed on city streets. The highway lobby then pushed through Congress a vast network of urban freeways that doubled the cost of the Interstates, fueled suburban development, increased auto dependence, and elicited passionate opposition.

      There are powerful interests that probably realize all the problems with our addiction to oil but have great economic incentives to preserve the status quo and have demonstrated in the past the lengths they will go to in order to do that.

      Charlie