Reliant Time of Use Plan fact sheet

  • Russell Warren
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 5, 2011
    For those in a Reliant use area, here is the fact sheet for their Time of
    Use plan for people with Smart Meters already installed.
    Of note, there is no base monthly fee and no penalty for using under 1000
    kWh.
  • Philip Timmons
    Message 2 of 5 , Apr 5, 2011
      Thanks, Warren.

      That is interesting.

      I see the range is from 10.5 cents (off Peak) to 12.8 (Summer Peak Peak).

      But does this make sense?  Can't folks already get 10 cents (or so) flat rate around the clock?

      Message 3 of 5 , Apr 5, 2011

        For people that use more than 1000 kWh / month there are probably some more generous plans out there.  The problem is that the power to choose numbers are based around 2000 kWh / month usage.

        For people that only use 500 kWh / month, the plans have all sorts of base costs, low usage fees, etc that raise the average rate right back up to well over 12 cents / kWh.  I have heard rumors that Green Mountain penalizes people for low energy consumption, but have not personally verified that.

        This plan is actually one of the lowest cost plans for someone that uses under 500 kWh / month.
        Reliant also will buy back excess renewable energy placed on the grid.  I am not certain if all companies are required to do that or not.

        Message 4 of 5 , Apr 5, 2011
          Good point on the higher use customers getting the deeper night discounts. We have some large industrial customers who have negotiated about 1/2 off in the deep night.

          Back down to our more human scale, we have noted that TXU and Reliant do buy-backs, and like you observed -- Green Mountain's methods tend to be so confusing even GM cannot seem to keep them straight.

          Have you seen the Time of Use billing for Nevada? It is severe.

          36 cents on Peak, 6.5 cents offest off Peak.

          http://www.nvenergy.com/business/paymentbilling/timeofusenorth.cfm

          Since Solar (PV mostly, but Thermal especially) generation so closely matches the Daily Peak / Time of Use, I have been looking to use that as a potential offset, and figured somewhere down the line Time of Production that matched the Peak(s) would get a bonus. However, I see nothing like that coming soon in Texas. But a girl can dream, huh?

          Message 5 of 5 , Apr 5, 2011
            I just renewed with Green Mountain and their current "Electricity Facts Label" sheet states a flat rate of $0.100259 for Centerpoint territory, but the "average price" when calculating usage plus fees (base charge and advance metering fee) is $0.118 for 500 kwh, $0.109 for 1000 kwh, and $0.105 for 2000 kwh. I see no indication of a low-usage fee as some of the others have.

            I look forward to the time when all the Smart Meters are installed and "time of use" rates become competitive. I do not yet have a Smart Meter installed at my house. I understand there is no way to request an "early " installation.

            From:
            To:
            hreg@yahoogroups.com