[hreg] Re: energy deregulation

  • Michael Begley
    Message 1 of 3 , May 30, 2001
      I too am switching to Green Mtn. The following site has
      the prices of all the potential power providers:
      http://www.powertochoose.org/residential/choosing/howtoshopframe.html
      It also shows the mix of power plant fuel sources and emissions
      versus the TX average. Green Mtn looks good with 100%
      wind and 0% emissions.
      However, I find it doesn't agree with either the Green Mtn
      brochure or my Reliant bill.
      My Green Mtn contract is for $4.95 monthly service charge and
      9.8 cents per kwh.
      My Reliant bill shows a $6.31 monthly service charge, and
      2.25 cents for the first 250 kwh, and 7.65 cents for each additional kwh.
      But then adding the fuel surcharge of 4.51 cents per kwh, the actual
      rates are 6.76 cents for the first 250 kwh and 12.16 cents for all
      additional kwh.
      Given my summer bills, I expect the Green Mtn bills to be cheaper
      than Reliant (as long as the fuel surcharge continues or increases),
      as well as non-polluting.