RE: [hreg] solar home heating in Houston

  • ralph parrott
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 30, 2011

    APS recently installed what I believe to be the first solar water space heating system of its kind in the Houston area.  We basically had to triple the number of solar water heating collectors to account for the reduced heat that can be generated during the winter.

    I have both pictures and diagrams of the systems. Solar water heating collectors amazingly produce a good deal of heat during cloudy days.  The calculations on payback are actually pretty good when comparing the cost of heating with electricity and the system can only be used with a forced air HVAC unit.

    Ralph Parrott

    President of the

    http://www.txses.org/hreg

    IMPORTANT NOTICE: This transmission (including all attached pages) is intended only for the use of the named address(es), and may contain information that is privileged or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not a named addressee, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distributing or copying of this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please destroy all copies and notify us immediately at this telephone number: (713) 595-6375. Thank you!

    From: Philip Timmons <philiptimmons@...>
    To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
    Date: Monday, March 28, 2011, 8:39 PM

    Sure.

    I was thinking Tyra was due a real answer, and it started getting long, and have not gotten it finished. :)

    So yes, we can go over that (Solar Thermal for Air Conditioning/Cooling/Refrigeration), as I would like like to find some folks for test sites.

    From: Tyra Rankin <tyra@...>
    To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
    Date: Thursday, March 24, 2011, 10:40 PM

    Philip:

    Really interesting comments!

    Solar Thermal – don’t know if you mean Concentrated Solar Thermal - CSP would definitely be my choice – and we if need back up or if the thermal storage does not quite cover full base load, then use gas.  Of course CSP is mostly used at utility scale.  If we want to get off the grid then any one of many solar technologies installed on homes, commercial buildings would work.

    Rice University has 2 spin off companies, one Solterra – both now public companies – operating in states other than Texas because Texas has no policy support for solar – both producing room temperature doped ink jet solar with higher efficiencies than most PV at lower cost.

    And – EVs – only 3 million EV users needed to reach the tipping point beyond which the combustion engine for automobiles will become obsolete within 10 years.  Oil prices plummet as demand collapses.

    Tyra

    From: Andrea Wisner <amwisner@...>
    To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
    Date: Thursday, March 24, 2011, 2:15 PM

    Getting rid of the grid sounds good to me.

    I understand there is a strong contingent that still believes in nuclear power. It ignores what to me is the true issue, which is whether we should be using so much power in the first place. There is going to be a price to pay, no matter what kind of power it is. Matter is neither created nor destroyed. We're going to be using the earth's resources no matter what type of power, thus depleting those resouces. Even solar power requires that solar collectors be built.

    Has anyone ever calculated what the best source of power is, considering use of resources and generation of waste? That is, best would be the source that uses minimal resources and generates minimal waste.

    Again, conservation would help a lot to solve our problems in the US . I'm guessing consumption could be cut by a huge percentage, maybe a quarter, if people would set their ACs to no lower than 82 F. Who said it's necessary to be 100% comfortable? We are spoiled by what we have had. (For the record, I keep the AC at 85 and lower it only at night and when the air gets too humid to breate comfortably, and then just by a couple degrees.)

    Andrea