HREG Leaders Needed

  • ralph parrott
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 28, 2011

    Dear Members

    I would like to introduce myself to many of you. I currently serve as the President of HREG as of January 2011. I have been a strong supporter of HREG and the Solar Tour for over 3 year since founding Alternative Power Solutions here in Houston. I have very large dreams for HREG and hope to lead our organization into a period of extreme growth and a renewed sense of community education on the many types, applications, and proper installation of the various forms of renewable energy.  This includes:

    1. Bio-fuel
    2. Biomass
    3. Geothermal
    4. Hydro
    5. Hydrogen and Fuel Cell
    6. Ocean Energy
    7. Solar
    8. Wind

    I will from time to time post relevant information that I believe is informative and possibly a source of conversation for the group.  I see I have been successful over the past days with inspiring a bit of conversation.  This information should not be intended as my opinion unless stated as such.

    The HREG Yahoo chat group currently has over 720 members yet we only have around 20 members who attend the quarterly meetings and are actively participating in the coordination of the Solar Tour which by far is our largest educational event for each year.   I hope to inspire a large number of our current and future new members to roll up your sleeves and make HREG a beacon to the Houston Community for all types of renewable energy much like Solar San Antonio has become for the citizens of their city.

    Many of the past leaders of HREG have tirelessly severed the organization for over 5 years and would like new blood to bring new Ideas to the table.  The past leaders and I recently met and identified several key leadership roles and committees that need to be filled to facilitate the growth the Solar Tour.  These open positions are as follows and descriptions of their responsibilities are attached in the meeting notes:

    ·         Tour Director

    ·         Project Site Chair

    ·         Guide Chair

    ·         PR and Marketing Chair

    ·         Graphics Branding and Advertising Chair

    ·         Mass Transportation (Bus) Chair

    ·         Volunteers Chair

    ·         Event Chair

    ·         Treasurer

    The primary organization is also in search of new leaders for several key positions.  These open positions are as follows and descriptions of their responsibilities are attached in the meeting notes:

    ·         Business Sponsorship Chair (Website)

    ·         Electronic Media Chair (Face book, Twitter, Website)

    ·         Membership and Recruitment Chair

    ·         Event Chair

    Please contact me immediately if you are interested leading or participating in the leadership of HREG and or the Solar Tour .

    HREG is also actively seeking volunteers and a volunteer coordinator to staff our booth at this years Earth Day celebration to be held on Saturday April 23, 2011 from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM in the Discovery Green Park.  Please contact me immediately if you are interested in participating.

    In order to facilitate the growth of our meeting attendance I have requested the reservation of our standard meeting location for Thursday April 21st from 6:30 to 8:00 Pm since our current Sunday meeting dates are not conducive for many of you.  The meetings are currently being held on the campus of the University of Houston in the School of Architecture lecture hall.  This room actually holds around 300 people.  Please let me know if this meeting date is acceptable to the majority of you and I will secure the room.

    I sincerely look forward to meeting as many of you as possible and working to grow this great organization. I hope to hear from you soon.

    Regards,

    Ralph Parrott

    President of the

    http://www.txses.org/hreg

  • Jay Ring
    Message 2 of 7 , Mar 29, 2011
      Hey Ralph - hey everyone :)

      I've been pretty busy the last few meetings, but I'm planning on becoming a regular again.

      I've worked the table at the social the last few years and you can count on my help again this year if required. I'd be willing to help in the preparation, but I lack the experience to match the great job last year's group did. If any of the chairs needs a volunteer, they should feel free to contact me.

      I'm available to volunteer for the Earth Day on Saturday April 23. I can't make the whole time (6 hours!), but I can do a 2-3 hour shift.

      As for the quarterly meeting, Thursday at 6:30 works for me.

      - Jay

      --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "ralph parrott" <ralph.parrott@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > April 23, 2011 from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM in the Discovery Green Park. Please
      > contact me immediately if you are interested in participating.
      >

      > In order to facilitate the growth of our meeting attendance I have requested
      > the reservation of our standard meeting location for Thursday April 21st
      > from 6:30 to 8:00 Pm since our current Sunday meeting dates are not
      > conducive for many of you. The meetings are currently being held on the
      > campus of the University of Houston in the School of Architecture lecture
      > hall. This room actually holds around 300 people. Please let me know if
      > this meeting date is acceptable to the majority of you and I will secure the
      > room.
      >

      > I sincerely look forward to meeting as many of you as possible and working
      > to grow this great organization. I hope to hear from you soon.

    • Andrea Wisner
      Message 3 of 7 , Mar 29, 2011
        Conservation and passive heating and cooling are not priorites, correct? Is there another group locally that does prioritize these issues?

        Andrea

        Message 4 of 7 , Mar 29, 2011
          Well the group has always been a collection of individuals with different interests. To say that "the group" has certain priorities is somewhat misleading because we aren't a monolithic bloc.

          HREG's main focus has usually been on generation, but it's not exclusive. Conservation and passive heating/cooling are definitely interests.

          The first thing anyone thinking about going solar will usually do is cut back their energy usage. PV is pretty expensive, and it's usually cheaper to save energy than generate more of it.

          Other secondary interests tend to be related to green building, mainly on the energy side. LaVerne Williams gave an excellent presentation about 5 meetings back, including sections on the pool roof and solar chimneys. We've also covered split-AC, ground source heat pumps, electric vehicles, and similar topics.

          We tend to not focus so much on the other aspects of green building and sustainability, like say, non-volatile paints, sustainable wood, recycling, permaculture, or gardening. Many members of the group are interested in these things also (some are experts). Most are willing to talk about them. But we are mainly focused on the energy side of things.

          I don't know if that helped. I'm not an officer, just a member of 5 or so years. And I'm not reciting our charter here either, just sharing my experiences with the group and what we've covered.

          --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, Andrea Wisner <amwisner@...> wrote:

          > Conservation and passive heating and cooling are not priorites, correct? Is there another group locally that does prioritize these issues?
          >
          > Andrea

        • ralph parrott
          Message 5 of 7 , Mar 29, 2011
            They are priorities and I would be glad to add them to the list.

            In fact I would love to have a speaker on the topic at our upcoming meeting.

            Ralph Parrott
            Alternative Power Solutions
            (713) 595 6375 Off
            (281) 455 9083 Cell

            On Mar 29, 2011, at 9:21 AM, Andrea Wisner <amwisner@...> wrote:

[...]

            <image001.jpg>

            http://www.txses.org/hreg

          • ralph parrott
            Message 6 of 7 , Mar 29, 2011
              Well said Jay.

              Ralph Parrott

              On Mar 29, 2011, at 10:16 AM, "Jay Ring" <public@...> wrote:

              Well the group has always been a collection of individuals with different interests. To say that "the group" has certain priorities is somewhat misleading because we aren't a monolithic bloc.

              HREG's main focus has usually been on generation, but it's not exclusive. Conservation and passive heating/cooling are definitely interests.

              The first thing anyone thinking about going solar will usually do is cut back their energy usage. PV is pretty expensive, and it's usually cheaper to save energy than generate more of it.

              Other secondary interests tend to be related to green building, mainly on the energy side. LaVerne Williams gave an excellent presentation about 5 meetings back, including sections on the pool roof and solar chimneys. We've also covered split-AC, ground source heat pumps, electric vehicles, and similar topics.

              We tend to not focus so much on the other aspects of green building and sustainability, like say, non-volatile paints, sustainable wood, recycling, permaculture, or gardening. Many members of the group are interested in these things also (some are experts). Most are willing to talk about them. But we are mainly focused on the energy side of things.

              I don't know if that helped. I'm not an officer, just a member of 5 or so years. And I'm not reciting our charter here either, just sharing my experiences with the group and what we've covered.

              --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, Andrea Wisner <amwisner@...> wrote:

              > Conservation and passive heating and cooling are not priorites, correct? Is there another group locally that does prioritize these issues?
              >
              > Andrea

            • Lynden Foley
              Message 7 of 7 , Mar 29, 2011
                Ralph,

                I volunteer to be the project site chair or part of that team whatever is needed.

                Regards,
                Lynden Foley