Turbines, gambling and sexually oriented businesses

  • justin@gulfcoastrenewableresources.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 11, 2011
      State Rep. John Smithee (Amarillo) has included an amendment to a bill filed Thursday in the Texas House of Representatives that would prevent owners of wind turbines from obtaining insurance through TWIA. The turbines, to my disbelief, have been grouped with gambling establishments and sexually oriented businesses. The full bill can be found at:

      Section 2210.210 is where the amendment is located.

      Reasoning from Smithee that wind turbines were included is because there is currently no formula that determines how to value them.

      -Justin
    • Russell Warren
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 11, 2011
        I don't see an issue with this.  It appears to only apply to the "other structures" clause of the policy, which means only the wind turbine is not covered.
        An owner of a wind turbine still can have their house covered under TWIA without issue.

        If you ask me, it is the other 2 exceptions that don't really belong.  They are there strictly for political reason, while the wind turbine exception is actually a logical/financial reasoning.

        It's obvious that what happened is that someone has made a claim for wind damage to their wind turbine.  That is like claiming damage to your demolition derby car under your auto insurance.

        Russell

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 11, 2011
          Russell, I see what you mean. While the turbines themselves are questionable, with "survival wind speed" not warranted by manufacturers, I think TWIA should at least cover the pole and foundation of turbines. They are specifically designed and engineered to meet TWIA standards and required by the local municipalities. This may be the case, as it is not clear in the bill what "wind turbines" pertain to.

          Those who go through the process of installing turbines for their homes, ranches, etc... want the units to be covered under their windstorm policy. In an age where renewable energy has the opportunity to really expand in the residential market, a push like this will only have negative impacts on its implementation.

          Justin

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 11, 2011
            Southwest warrants units to 140 mph and residential turbines are easily lowered before hurricane type winds. This is a crock. Need to contact TREIA to ensure they are working against this. Like Justin stated "only negative impacts".
            Jim B

            --
            Jim Brannen
            Market Development Manager,