Important HREG Changes can reduce your e-mail

  • Mike Ewert
    Message 1 of 1 , May 22, 2001
      As you have noticed, HREG has grown a great deal in our
      first 2 years!
      Thanks to all of you for your support
      and enthusiasm. However, because
      of our growing
      membership, we have also experienced a much larger
      volume
      of e-mail from our e-group. While most members
      enjoy the discussion, there
      are also many of us who
      can't keep up with it.

      I have discussed the situation with our current
      president, Oral LaFleur,
      and we have a plan to solve the
      problem. We plan to have 2 e-groups, one
      of which will
      be a subset of the other. The larger e-group will be
      called
      [HREG_MEMBERS] and will be used only by the
      officers to announce meetings
      and other important events
      and information. The subset group will maintain
      the
      name [HREG] and you can continue to use it for great
      renewable energy
      discussions as you have in the past.
      Those who wish to reduce their participation
      can now
      change to "web only" or unsubscribe from [HREG] without
      loosing
      touch with us altogether. If you are happy with
      the status quo you will
      not have to take any action.
      More details are provided below.

      The change will take effect soon, prior to our next meeting, which will be
      in June. Meeting details will also be announced
      soon.

      [HREG_MEMBERS] - This list will be used to keep track of
      all Houston Renewable
      Energy Group members. Since we
      have no dues, simply being on this list
      makes you
      a "member" of HREG. This list will be used only by the
      officers
      to send out meeting announcements and other
      information that is felt to
      be of interest to all
      members. If you get a message from [HREG_MEMBERS],

      don't reply. Instead, if you would like to comment on
      the message, forward
      it to [HREG]. Or if you feel it
      needs to go to all members, ask an officer
      to e-mail it
      to [HREG_MEMBERS].

      We will invite back all former members that have asked
      to be dropped from
      the [HREG] list (presumably due to
      the e-mail volume).

      [HREG] - Think
      of this list as our discussion group.
      Everyone currently on it will remain
      on it unless you go
      to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hreg/ and change to
      web
      only access or unsubscribe. We will try to give
      tutorials on the
      HREG YahooGroups web site some time soon.
      If you have problems, you can ask
      Oral
      (lafleur_ox@...) or me (mike.ewert@...) to
      switch it for
      you. We have moderator access. But,
      please do not e-mail [HREG] to unsubscribe.
      This goes
      to all 130 of us and it does not automatically
      unsubscribe you.

      You will not receive duplicate e-mail from the 2 lists.
      I hope that this
      new format will be best of all of you
      renewable energy enthusiasts in Houston
      (and
      elsewhere). We actually have members from several
      countries.