Climate Solutions, biochar talk Sunday

  • Nan Hildreth
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1 1:36 PM
    • 1 Attachment
    • 19 KB
    Climate solutions, including biochar, will be discussed Sunday,
    March 6th, 1:15 pm at the monthly meeting of Houston Climate
    Protection Alliance. Our guest speaker will be Dean Cook, who is
    making biochar for his garden in northeast Houston and giving a
    workshop on biochar on Saturday 3/5 (see attached flyer). Biochar
    allows is produce energy while sequestering carbon. This makes it
    better for the climate than solar or wind. Bellona Foundation
    expects carbon negative energy sources, like biochar, to provide 18%
    of the climate
    solution.
    http://www.bellona.org/ccs/Artikler/combat_global_warming?at= Al Gore
    called biochar "one of the most exciting new strategies for restoring
    carbon to depleted soils, and sequestering significant amounts of
    CO2." http://www.grist.org/article/the-must-read-solutions-book-by-al-gore/

    Solutions to global warming, on the whole, are simple and good for
    us. For example, saving energy. We know how, but we just have to
    get in the habit. According to Bellona Foundation, 45% of the
    climate solution can come from energy efficiency, lifestyle changes,
    and land use changes. These include switching to organic fertilizers
    and pest control, energy thrift and eating local and sustainably
    grown food, for example, from a local farmer's
    market http://www.urbanharvest.org/farmmarket/index.html With
    rising energy prices, the cost of chemical fertilizers will
    skyrocket. When more food producers go back to using organic
    fertilizers, the climate will benefit hugely. The soil stores huge
    amounts of carbon now, three times the amount in trees and
    plants. Chemical fertilizers deplete this soil organic matter.

    Another 18% of can come from carbon negative energy such as
    biochar. Biochar is cooking wood without much air so it releases
    energy but doesn't produce carbon dioxide. Charcoal is left
    over. It is called biochar to distinguish it from grocery store
    charcoal which contains coal. When pulverized, biochar improves
    soil fertility and sequesters carbon nearly indefinitely. Bellona
    expects carbon negative energy to be as big or bigger than renewable
    energy in the climate solutions.

    WHEN: Sunday 3/6, 1:15 pm
    WHERE: second floor classroom of First Unitarian Universalist Church,
    5200 Fannin St. at Southmore, 77004 in the Museum District of Central
    Houston, www.Firstuu.org
    WHO: Houston Climate Protection Alliance Monthly Meeting,
    www.HoustonClimateProtection.org

    Nan Hildreth, Houston 713-842-6643

    "On playing fields and battlegrounds, challenges that would be
    daunting and impossible if faced alone are suddenly possible when
    tackled in a close-knit group. The people haven't changed, but the
    way in which the task appears to them has." Malcolm Gladwell, The
    Tipping Point