question about inverters

  • mkewert@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 24, 2011
      Does anyone have positive or negative experience powering a laptop from an inexpensive inverter? One that is not true sine wave, like the ones you plug into your car cigarette lighter.  I'm working with a school on a solar power station.
      thanks,
      Mike
    • Howard, Robert L. (JSC-SF311)
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 24, 2011
        I used them often in the past.  However, my  current laptop draws too much power to use my inverter.   My previous laptop (an old HP) didn't have any problems with it, but it was a smaller laptop.  I have an Acer netbook that I rarely use that I can use with my inverter without any problem.  Check the power your inverter supplies to make sure it's high enough for your intended application.  Some of the higher end laptops draw more power than you might think.

        Does anyone have positive or negative experience powering a laptop from an inexpensive inverter? One that is not true sine wave, like the ones you plug into your car cigarette lighter.  I'm working with a school on a solar power station.
        thanks,
        Mike

      • Robert Johnston
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 24, 2011

          Use a cheap cigarette lighter plug type inverter in my car to power laptops and cellphones and never had an issue.

          Robert

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 24, 2011
            Mike,
            I use a 90watt inverter and it works fine. My laptop draws about 35 watts. Earlier, I purchased a 180 watt inverter, tried it on 3 different cars and the inverter would not work. Tried it on a fourth car, and worked great. Go figure. Turns out that different cars have different power levels on the cigarette lighter/charger circuit. The 180 watt inverter was too large for the cigarette lighter/charger circuit on my cars, and would not charge anything.

            The size of inverter you need depends on the amperage of the cigarette lighter circuit in your car, as well as the wattage draw of your laptop or whatever you need to charge. My mechanic told me that most cigarette lighter circuits are 10amp. That times 12 volts equals 120 watts. So any inverter of <120 watt capacity, but > your laptop requires, should work.

            Dennis Celsor
            www.thirtygreen.com

            Does anyone have positive or negative experience powering a laptop from an inexpensive inverter? One that is not true sine wave, like the ones you plug into your car cigarette lighter.  I'm working with a school on a solar power station.
            thanks,
            Mike
          • Ray Brown
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 24, 2011
              I have two and travel a bunch; one is a backup if ever needed.  Paid $20-$30 each from Wal-Mart both plug into the cigarette lighter.  Used to run my laptop 5-8 hours on avg 3 days a week.  Been in use for two years now.  Original is still working fine.

               Hope this helps.

              Ray

              Use a cheap cigarette lighter plug type inverter in my car to power laptops and cellphones and never had an issue.

              Robert

              Does anyone have positive or negative experience powering a laptop from an inexpensive inverter? One that is not true sine wave, like the ones you plug into your car cigarette lighter.  I'm working with a school on a solar power station.
              thanks,
              Mike

            • Neldon Costin
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 25, 2011
                I use one I got from radio shack on a dell lap top and an eee netbook a lot and for several years  No problems