Re: [hreg] State of Texas need residents help with power conservation efforts immediately

  • Eileen Nehiley
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 4, 2011
      Some change is in order.
      Drove on 290 last night - a day after I was without power for 9 hours  . . . only to see all the usual lighting from every business. So who exactly is supposed to respond to the request to reduce electric usage?! The businesses clearly don't. Every business is lit up with a huge sign advertising . . . This wasn't an emergency enough to turn them off.
      So B of A, Compass Bank, etc . . their signs use power & then I have no heat at night for 9 hours.

      Eileen

      On Feb 4, 2011, at 8:29 AM, Jim Brannen wrote:

      This weeks rolling blackout is a perfect example of why ERCOT and the Investor Owned Utilities should be facilitating more Distributed Generation. My understanding is that they were about 4000MW short. There are millions of Texas consumers that could easily have 3kw solar p/v or small wind installations. These systems would seldom put power back on the grid, but greatly contribute to lighten the required demand. With the Texas legislature in session this is a wonderful moment to make the point to the PUC, ERCOT and our elected officials. With the budget crisis it is important to note, we are not looking for subsidies from the state, just that they facilitate distributed generation interconnection and some assistance from the utilities and Texas Rural Coops.

      Jim Brannen
      Southwest Windpower
      On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 12:58 PM, <alammey@...> wrote:

      To everyone living in Texas from Dallas to Galveston: The Electricity Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) is urging all consumers who can reduce their energy consumption to do so at this time. Severe weather has led to the loss of more than 50 power generation facilities - more than 7,000 Megawatts, and additional units are continuing to trip offline due to the extreme cold temperatures. ERCOT Grid Operations has asked the utilities/transmission providers to implement rotating outages until the load is reduced through conservation and restoration of generation units. Conservation is very critical at this time to reduce the load on the system. One megawatt is roughly enough electricity to power 200 homes. Its really just as simple as turning off lights, waiting to do laundry, powering down any electronics or products that don't need to be on at this time. Please spread the word.

      Regards,

      Alan M. Lammey
      Energy Analyst & Consultant
      Host of the 'Energy Week' Radio Program
      Website: www.TexasEnergyAnalyst.com
      Ph: 281-658-0395

      --
      Jim Brannen
      Market Development Manager, TEXAS

    • evelyn sardina
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 4, 2011
        You are correct. When I go to the stores, I turn all the fans off. I know they want to
        show people how the fans feel and what the lamps are going to look like when they
        are on but people can flip the switch if they want. The next time you go into the stores
        look to see the lamp department and fans all runnning..... Just saying.... Evelyn

[...]

      • William & Cynthia Stange
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 4, 2011
          I am a very practical man, more than that most of these things are common sense issues.This should be a multi-pronged approach:
          1) Efficiency rating for all electrical items, appliances, lighting and heating. There are already some good efficiency results but we need to go further. This is why efficiently insulated and passive-used elements in our homes and business are so important.
          2) Coops of RE power is exactly what could have helped. Solar PV, Solar thermal, CSP and wind energies are kind of like a "duh" nowadays and we SHOULD call Austin and bring this home. It is applicable at so many levels.
          3) An energy policy (yeah right!) what is saving on electricity for one busines is not for another. In that, there should be a "level" like there was today for emergency readiness, there should be for essential electrical use protocol.

           Our country has never (thank god) been in a losing or devastating war that has caused us to ever have lived WITHOUT anything! We have no prior knowledge, experience or history of ever having to do with LESS in this country. Therefore we have way different levels of what is efficient or doing with less which is not calibrated. It is quite the contrary now we live to excesses and are about to have a giant wake up call. If this winter storm caused this much craziness in the electrical grid we are in deep poopie.
           Supplemental wood heat, steam and even passive solar has its place here in our everyday life.
           The driving (vehicles) part may be one of the leading causes in this"can't happen to us" scenario. I don't care where you are from in the USA it is very difficult to drive on ice, snow is very different but ice is treacherous. Studded snow tires are the only thing I've ever seen (from the passenger seat) that can handle that part of natures humor. I watched so many people absolutely oblivious to frozen bridges, overpasses and/or anything elevated today. People should be cited and ticketed for driving while "stupid!"\
          BTW- Australia survived Typhoon Tashi with 186 mile -an-hour winds, hmmm, wonder what our hurricane season gonna shape up to?
          Bill

          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 4, 2011
            Well stated Jim.

            Ralph Parrott
            Alternative Power Solutions
            (713) 595 6375 Off
            (281) 455 9083 Cell

[...]

          • Greg Tinkler
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 4, 2011
              Hello Ralph,

              And if they all had geothermal, conservation wouldn't be an issue

              Sent from my Cell Phone

              On Feb 4, 2011, at 8:00 PM, "Ralph Parrott" <rwpjr13@...> wrote:

[...]

              This email is for the use of the intended recipient(s) only. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete it. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not keep, use, disclose, copy or distribute this email without the author's prior permission. We have taken precautions to minimize the risk of transmitting software viruses, but we advise you to carry out your own virus checks on any attachments to this message. We cannot accept liability for any loss or damage caused by software viruses. The information contained in this communication may be confidential and may be subject to the attorney-client privilege. If you are the intended recipient and you do not wish to receive similar electronic messages from us in the future then please respond to the sender to this effect.

                ­­
            • Tyra Rankin
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 5, 2011

                Good comment, Bill.

                Tyra

                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 5, 2011
                  Yes, yes, & yes.

                  A protocol for what is essential & what is needed. As a nation our perspective on this is skewed as you said.
                  Many in our country are doing without a lot due to the economy, yet the concept of what is essential is still perspective.
                  I teach high school & the young have grown up with cell phones, cable, VCR, DVD, microwave, multiple TVs, cordless phones, computers, mp3 . . . all things we didn't have 30 years ago that are plugged in.
                  The electrical wiring in my 1973 house can't handle Christmas lights,  a couple of computers & a TV. Easy fix; turn some things off.
                  Back up to keep the heat inside my house would be a good idea. Haven't researched it to know the cost.

                  Eileen

                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 5, 2011

[...]

                    • Garth & Kim Travis
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 5, 2011
                        There is a link on the bottom of every message that will allow you to
                        unsubscribe. The moderators do not know you yahoo id, and that is what
                        is needed to track down a person and unsubscribe them. Politeness
                        requires the members to kindly do this for themselves. If you have a
                        problem please contact the list moderators off list.

                        Bright Blessings,
                        Garth & Kim Travis
                        www.TheRoseColoredForest.com
                        Bedias, Texas