Electricity deregulation

  • ChasMauch@aol.com
    Message 1 of 19 , May 20, 2001
      A big front-page article in the Houston Chronicle today says that people are
      really slow about signing up for the new pilot program on electricity
      deregulation. They had hoped to get 5% residential participation or about
      205,025 statewide but so far only 43,356 or 21% of that number have signed
      up, and they have moved the effective date back from early June to July 6th.
      Participation is higher in Houston but still only 27,017 people or 45% have
      signed up for the 60,106 slots we are entitled to.
      There are six choices available in the Houston area: Entergy Solutions, First
      Choice Power, Green Mountain Energy, The New Power Company, Shell Energy, and
      TXU Energy Services.
      Of course we can stay with Reliant Energy but I am still extremely aggravated
      with them and hate to pass up an opportunity to express my irritation about
      their spending $300 million on that naming-rights deal for every building in
      the Astrodome complex, including the new football stadium. I am just itching
      to switch to Green Mountain, which gets all its energy from wind, and plan to
      do that unless someone can give me a good reason why that would be a bad
      thing to do. I guess one problem is that I'm not totally sure the whole idea
      of deregulation is a good thing. As they say it all depends on how you do it,
      the devil is in the details, etc.
      Does anyone have any ideas on this? What are most of us going to do?
      Charlie
    • Robert Johnston
      Message 2 of 19 , May 20, 2001
        If you haven't already, check out the Texas Utility Commission's website, and
        especially:

        There are good resources there that explain the program, the choices in your
        area, etc.  There is a standardized comparison sheet that each utility is supposed
        to use that allows you to readily compare the key features of each one.  Part of
        this sheet (near the bottom) is a graph that illustrates the percentage of the
        electricity that comes from various sources (renewables, gas, coal, nuclear) and
        the emissions.

        Green Mountain obviously has no emissions.  However, it is a little more pricey
        that than the others, so you are basically voting your social consciousness rather
        than your wallet if you choose them.  (Yes, I know that some will argue the cost
        is less because there isn't the environmental impact, but I'm talking about the
        cost to your personal wallet today, not the cost to society tomorrow).

        I encourage you to check things out for yourself.  I got a flier in the mail from
        NewPower last week, and after checking out the options, decided to go for them.
        They have a lower rate, and also free Decembers for 2 years.  That sounded good
        to me.  I wish I knew what Reliant was going to offer, but there wasn't info for them
        so far as I could find; I'm guessing they are probably restricted from announcing
        prices until the newbies are established??  Anyway, I'm free to switch back to
        Reliant anytime during the pilot without a penalty, so I'll be watching their rates
        carefully.

        Who knows, Charlie, maybe with the tax breaks your favorite president has given
        to businesses that invest in renewables, maybe Green Mountain will be able to drop
        their price to be competitive?  :-)

        BTW, most of these companies, including Green Mountain, just pump power into
        the grid.  Enron is a big player in the commodity trading of electricity.  Companies
        put power into the grid, and buy and sell power via exchanges like Enron's, and you
        end up with power at your house based on what was fed into the grid by all players.
        Your electrons will probably not originate in a West Texas windmill, but Green Mountain
        promises to put as much into the grid as their retail customers take out of it.

        Robert Johnston

        Message 3 of 19 , May 20, 2001
          Anyone have ideas on which company might be the most helpful in a
          homeowner's generation of PV electricity back into the grid? That
          would be one heck of an incentive for me to switch!

          If someone finds substantive proof that one company will assist or
          make it easy to connect a PV system, please let the group know.

          Thanks,
          Greg

          --- In hreg@y..., "Robert Johnston" <rjohnsto@b...> wrote:
          > If you haven't already, check out the Texas Utility Commission's
          website,
          > and
          > especially:
          >
          > http://www.powertochoose.org/
          >
          > There are good resources there that explain the program, the
          choices in your
          > area, etc.
        • Claude Foster
          Message 4 of 19 , May 21, 2001
            Good Morning Greg,

            My company is working with several manufacturers to get commercial buildings
            on the "grid" but it is fairly expensive right now. You may contact any of
            the solar cell builders to get a "kit". Solarex in Frederick Maryland
            (302-698-4200) and ASE in Billerica, MA (800-977-0777) are good starters. BP
            and Siemens are also potential suppliers for the photo panels.

            You will need the panels that produce direct current, an inverter that
            converts direct current to alternating current and a transfer switch that
            will separate your photo system from the utility.

            Your local utility will also assist you and verify that your system is safe.
            Safety is a two edged sword - your home must be protected from the giant
            utility power source and the utility must be protected from reversed powered
            circuits. You may refer to IEEE Std 929-2000 for the requirements of PV
            systems less than 100 kW.

            There is a lot of technical stuff that must be engineered but we will be
            happy to assist you.

            Claude Foster, P.E.
            Lockwood, Andrews & Newnam, Inc.

          • Steven Shepard
            Message 5 of 19 , May 21, 2001
              I am not aware of any of the utilities offering that service at this time.
              Our company most certainly does.

              SBT Designs
              25840 IH-10 West #1
              Boerne, Texas 78006
              210-698-7109
              FAX: 210-698-7147
              www.sbtdesigns.com

              Please note we are moving our email address to sbtdesigns@....
              Please update our information in your records.

              > Anyone have ideas on which company might be the most helpful in a
              > homeowner's generation of PV electricity back into the grid? That
              > would be one heck of an incentive for me to switch!
              >
              > If someone finds substantive proof that one company will assist or
              > make it easy to connect a PV system, please let the group know.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Greg
              >

              > --- In hreg@y..., "Robert Johnston" <rjohnsto@b...> wrote:
              > > If you haven't already, check out the Texas Utility Commission's
              > website,
              > > and
              > > especially:
              > >
              > > http://www.powertochoose.org/
              > >
              > > There are good resources there that explain the program, the
              > choices in your
              > > area, etc.

            • Steven Shepard
              Message 6 of 19 , May 21, 2001
                Page five of our Solar Electric Products catalog lists the solar roof
                modules and the solar tiles. Both of which can be used in residential or
                commercial applications to solarize the roof of a structure.

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • jclem412@aol.com
                Message 7 of 19 , May 21, 2001
                  Siemens Solar has the "earthsafe" (trademark) product line, which are PV kits
                  of various wattage (600 to 2400, in 300W increments) for utility-tie systems.
                  No batteries. Comes ready to install (on roofs). They allow only certified
                  contractors/installers.

                  Jonathan
                • mike schmitt
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 5 5:42 PM
                    where can we find out more information on the Green Mountain energy setup

                    mike

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 5 5:44 PM
> [...]

                      be able
                      > to drop
                      > their price to be competitive? :-)
                      >
                      > BTW, most of these companies, including Green Mountain, just pump
                      power into
                      > the grid. Enron is a big player in the commodity trading of
                      electricity.
                      > Companies
                      > put power into the grid, and buy and sell power via exchanges like
                      Enron's,
                      > and you
                      > end up with power at your house based on what was fed into the grid
                      by all
                      > players.
                      > Your electrons will probably not originate in a West Texas
                      windmill, but
                      > Green Mountain
                      > promises to put as much into the grid as their retail customers

                      Service.
                    • ChasMauch@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 5 7:17 PM
                        I learned something about this deregulation business last week by losing an
                        argument to someone more knowledgeable than I am. At least I think I did.
                        Maybe he just outtalked me and I didn't know enough to defend myself. Here is
                        what I think he said.
                        All providers are required to get 3% of their power from renewable sources,
                        so my thinking was that eventually everyone would end up buying 3% of their
                        power from renewables, whether they wanted to or not and no matter who they
                        buy their juice from. So if we could get 1000s of people to sign up with
                        Green Mountain and get 100% from wind, since everyone is buying 3% renewables
                        and we are buying 100% renewables over and above the base requirement, we
                        might achieve much more than 3% and maybe get the total up to 5% or 10% or
                        more of the statewide supply from renewables.
                        But I was told that the 3% is a sort of cap that is essentially subsidized,
                        and if we exceed that statewide from all providers averaged together the
                        subsidy goes away on all over 3% and the price will go up substantially -
                        enough to make it uneconomical for anyone to buy it (or to produce it) so no
                        one will. When the competition gets under way (I guess it has already) to
                        build more green supply, the big boys will build just enough to make their 3%
                        or maybe less and buy the rest from others. The small independent suppliers
                        providing the excess capacity will be squeezed out and it will all end up
                        controlled by the same old crowd of Reliant and Enron and the like.
                        So at this point it looks to me like this is pretty much of a scam on the
                        part of the big producers - a way for them to start gradually phasing into
                        fossil fuels and looking very green while really just responding to
                        inevitable market forces. They will gradually get the cap raised as needed in
                        the future to keep the game going.
                        Maybe I'm confused about this. I have not made a detailed study of the rules
                        and certainly can't read anyone's motives. They say we now have the most
                        progressive law along this line anywhere in the world which is an incredible
                        first for Texas, even though I'm paranoid enough to just assume that even if
                        they did the right thing it's almost certainly for the wrong reasons. I guess
                        that's OK but since I believe we have too much corporate dominance of our
                        economy already, I would at least like to understand what is really going on.
                        The above probably isn't very clear but hopefully you all can follow what I'm
                        trying to say. Maybe someone at TxSES can enlighten me on this.
                        Charlie
                      • ChasMauch@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 5 7:32 PM
                          Oops! In my previous email I meant to say - phasing OUT fossil fuels and
                          phasing in renewables.
                          Charlie
                        • James Ferrill
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 5 7:42 PM
                            Charlie,

                            I was going to wait until after dereg started to even consider switching. Every piece of info I saw stated in the fine print that the prices were only guaranteed until the end of the year. So they aren't committing to anything. I came to the same pricing conclusion that Mike did about Green Mountain, but deferred signing up until I could find out where exactly they had a wind farm, whether they guarantee 100% renewable use, and how much "dirty" system power are they allowed to use in the mix? And heaven only knows what wrench the legislature is going to throw into the process.

                            One conclusion that keeps popping into my mind: The less I use, the less I pay. 100% rate of return on conservation.

                            My 2 cents.

                            James

                            At 10:17 PM 6/5/2001, you wrote:
[...]

                          • Mike Ewert
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 5 7:58 PM
                              All the companies are listed on that website, but Green Mountain's direct
                              address is: https://www.greenmountain.com/gmec/tx/index.jsp
                              It only takes a few minutes and your current electric account number from
                              your bill to sign up.

> [...]

                              > be able
                              > > to drop
                              > > their price to be competitive? :-)
                              > >
                              > > BTW, most of these companies, including Green Mountain, just pump
                              > power into
                              > > the grid. Enron is a big player in the commodity trading of
                              > electricity.
                              > > Companies
                              > > put power into the grid, and buy and sell power via exchanges like
                              > Enron's,
                              > > and you
                              > > end up with power at your house based on what was fed into the grid
                              > by all
                              > > players.
                              > > Your electrons will probably not originate in a West Texas
                              > windmill, but
                              > > Green Mountain
                              > > promises to put as much into the grid as their retail customers

                            • mike schmitt
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 5 8:18 PM
                                I just tried to call Green Mountain to ask them some of the questions you guys have talked about tonight. I got the recorded message that ..leave your name and number and a time that we can reach you.. message. they are open from 8 to 5 PM during the week and 7 to 7 on the weekend. I would love to think that dereg is going to be good for me but something tells me to be careful. If anyone else tries calling and gets through find out if they even have the wind farm fully operational. I looked on their web site and could not find out if the farm was up and running. this is the only information I could find:

                                Q. What difference can I make by choosing Green Mountain Energy Company?
                                A. By choosing Green Mountain Energysm, you are helping change the way power is made. Every Green Mountain Energy Company customer helps create more demand for electricity generated from cleaner and renewable resources, rather than non-renewable sources like coal and oil. One example of creating demand, is the construction of new renewable facilities. To date, five such facilities have been built in California and Pennsylvania to meet the demand of our customers.  they don't even mention where in Texas.. they just say a new facility in Texas

                                • Three wind turbines in the San Gorgonio Pass, California
                                • A solar plant in Conshohocken, Pennsylvania
                                • The Solar 2000 plant in Hopland, California
                                • The Green Mountain Wind Farm in Garrett, Pennsylvania
                                • The solar facility in Berkeley, California

                                One other question is ..Harvey Wassermann said on a radio program that I heard that wind power is the fastest and the cheapest to build and from what I can tell the cheapest to maintain. Why is it then the prices per KW the same as Reliant. Not ever seeing a how an electrical plant is run, I'm guessing its like our petrochemical facility where its manned 24/7. I can understand the price of electricity from a coal burning plant but why is it just as high from a wind farm, because what energy they make wont be wasted it will be used in other areas until they build up the number of users in Texas.

                                let me know if this sound sane

                                Message 15 of 19 , Jun 6 7:11 AM
                                  If you really want to know how a company is run, buy some of their stock.
                                  This will put you in the position of directing (a little bit) by voting how
                                  the company works.

                                  Electrical costs from conventional plants are going up as fuel cost
                                  increase. Wind, solar, and hydro, renewable resources, and nuclear require
                                  high capital expenditure and interest rates for capital are low now. Their
                                  are slightly more hazards associated with nuclear but the other clean
                                  sources have some hazards and impacts that have been set aside for a while.
                                  This seems to be the best of times to invest capital in energy companies.
                                  Green Mountain appears to be stepping in the right direction but they also
                                  need input from their stock holders. Lets speak together.

                                • William M. Bell, Jr.
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jun 6 12:03 PM
                                    I think that Claude has hit on a great idea!!! As a shareholder, we will
                                    have access to detailed information about the company's investments into
                                    renewable energy. I have been suspect of some of these company's claims.
                                    When I tried to asked specific questions, no one answered. I plan to buy
                                    some stock and become a customer and watch what happens. If public demand
                                    increases, then the competition for this area should also increase.

                                    Please correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that these
                                    guys are merely buying power from other producers. Not that this is bad. It
                                    allows us, as shareholders and customers, to influence where they go to buy.
                                    They are not locked into a plant that they have built or purchased. They may
                                    have long-term contracts, but that is generally shorter than ownership. This
                                    means that they can switch to wind or solar if the shareholders (the owners)
                                    want to do so.

                                    But it also means that they could be buying electricity from sources that
                                    are not as "green" as I would like them to be. I was never clear how much
                                    green had to be in the mix to allow them to call the entire enchilada
                                    "green." I was never really clear either on what is "green" according to
                                    their definition.

                                    William M. Bell, Jr.
                                    PO Box 926
                                    Fulshear, Texas 77441-0926
                                    wmb@...
                                    Telephone: 713-439-1115
                                    Fax (bus hours only) 281-346-0994

                                    > If you really want to know how a company is run, buy some of their stock.
                                    > This will put you in the position of directing (a little bit) by voting
                                    how
                                    > the company works.
                                    >
                                    > Electrical costs from conventional plants are going up as fuel cost
                                    > increase. Wind, solar, and hydro, renewable resources, and nuclear require
                                    > high capital expenditure and interest rates for capital are low now. Their
                                    > are slightly more hazards associated with nuclear but the other clean
                                    > sources have some hazards and impacts that have been set aside for a
                                    while.
                                    > This seems to be the best of times to invest capital in energy companies.
                                    > Green Mountain appears to be stepping in the right direction but they also
                                    > need input from their stock holders. Lets speak together.

                                  • Ryan McMullan
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jun 6 3:48 PM
                                      According to GME, their power is 100% wind generated. They
                                      provide a state-mandated breakdown (by Coal and lignite, Natural gas,
                                      Nuclear, Renewable Energy) and their state-registered mix is 100%
                                      "Renewable Energy (wind)" (statewide average for Renewable is <1%). I
                                      think being a shareholder to get the inside track is a great idea,
                                      too. The closest stock I could find was Green Mountain Power (trades as
                                      GMP), which was trading at 15.51 today. I think that's the same or related
                                      company as Green Mountain Energy Company, but I'm not positive.

                                      Ryan

                                    • Michael Begley
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jun 6 4:38 PM
                                        I asked them these questions. Here is what they said.
                                        The power they put on the grid will be 100% Texas wind power.
                                        They have three to six months from the time you use it to
                                        put it on the grid. They have a contract with a 300 Mw west Texas
                                        wind farm.
                                        So if their customers use power equivalent to a 500 Mw consumption
                                        in the summer, but only 100 Mw in the winter, it averages out.
                                        I am not sure what they do if they sign up more customers
                                        than they have power production.
                                        In other states, Green Mountain uses natural gas plants, and
                                        a small amount of wind and solar power, but here in Texas,
                                        the literature claims it to be 100% renewables. I shall watch
                                        and see.

                                        --
                                        --Mike
                                      • ChasMauch@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jun 6 5:19 PM
                                          I believe Green Mountain Power was the parent company from which Green
                                          Mountain Energy was spun off and became a separate, independent company. GMP
                                          is located in Vermont and gets its energy from a mix of sources including
                                          hydro, coal, and nuclear. GME has its office in Austin and uses all wind
                                          power. GMP is publicly traded on the stock exchange but unfortunately I think
                                          GME is privately held and its stock is not available to the general public.
                                          I'm not sure but think that is the case. According to some literature they
                                          gave me, you can get more company info from Eleanor Scott 512-691-6316 email
                                          eleanor.scott@... or Marci Grossman 512-691-6310 email
                                          marci.grossman@.... The website is www.greenmountain.com.
                                          Charlie