Voluntary Rolling Blackout

  • Dana Hacker
    Message 1 of 1 , May 18, 2001
      This may be verified at
      http://www.greenhousenet.org/action/action.html .
      I think it's a really interesting concept and a way to make
      a point about the power of simple conservation!

      ROLL YOUR OWN BLACK OUT
      THE FIRST DAY OF SUMMER
      JUNE 21, 2001 THURS EVE,
      7-10pm worldwide, all time zones
      In protest of the current energy policies and lack of
      emphasis on
      efficiency, conservation and alternative fuels, there will
      be a
      voluntary rolling blackout on the first day of summer, June
      21 at
      7pm - 10pm in any time zone (this will roll it across the
      planet).

      It's a simple protest and a symbolic act. Turn out your
      lights from
      7pm-10pm on June 21. Unplug whatever you can unplug in your
      house.
      Light a candle to the moon, kiss and tell, tell ghost
      stories, or whatever
      you want to do instead of watching television. Have fun in
      the dark.

      Forward this email as widely as possible.

      Let them know we want global education, participation and
      funding in
      conservation, efficiency and alternative fuel efforts -- and
      an end
      to over exploitation and misuse of the earth's resources.

      Matthew Follett
      Program Director
      The Green House Network
      PMB 154
      16869 SW 65th Ave
      Lake Oswego, OR 97035
      help@...
      www.greenhousenet.org
      503-639-9352

      The Green House Network is a Portland, Oregon-based, 501(c)3

      non-profit organization dedicated to grassroots public
      education
      about the dangers of global warming and the need for urgent
      action to
      reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Our mission is to create a
      clean energy
      future that can stop global climate change by uniting
      business,
      government and citizens.