Re: [hreg] Fwd: WindTronics - Honeywell Wind Turbine - Distribution News and Resources

  • justin@gulfcoastrenewableresources.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 21, 2011
      I agree, Kevin. PV is a much better investment in the Houston area...

      And mounting a turbine on your roof is definitely not a good idea...

      But the power output claims I cannot speak for. Their innovative technology could prove to be successful, or not. I guess time will tell.

      On Jan 21, 2011, at 12:22 AM, "kevin conlin" <kevin@...> wrote:

      Yes, we’ve talked about this turbine before.  I think their claims are exaggerated and don’t consider the turbine construction to be as durable as a wind turbine investment would warrant.

      It’s often the tower, not the turbine,  that’s the most important and expensive part of the system, and I think it’s ludicrous to suggest mounting one on your roof.

      They claim it makes power at 7.5mph, but if you do the math, you’ll find it averages a 50W output at 10mph, typical for Houston. For $6K + $2K for a tower, you’d be much better off buying a 1.5KW PV system with no moving parts, a true 25 year life expectancy and 6X the average annual electricity production of the turbine.

      But, that’s just me, and I’m a noted curmudgeon!

      Best,  Kevin

      Heliosolar Design, Inc.

      Kevin Conlin

      PH: 281-202-9629

      kevin@...

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 21, 2011
        Curmudgeondry aside, In 2009 I did an analysis of the device using it's power curve and the wind data from Hobby Airport. This analysis avoids picking an average speed and accounts for the various wind speeds we experience in this area and the amount of time each year we get each speed.

        I selected Hobby Airport because it had the best data records in the Houston area. The air speed is measured near the ground for the purposes of landing aircraft. The data is an average from 1974 to 2008.

        The results are located here:
        http://transcendent.us/static/200906/hreg/wind/

        The summary is, you can expect this device to produce approximately 547 kWH per year, or about 1.5kWH per day. This is the same power output as you would expect from a 330W PV system.

        Based on straight economics I would also recommend PV for most people.

        However, there are a few cases where this would be worth while - in particular if you are completely off grid this could help you get by a chain of overcast days like we've had lately. Alternately stated, you could reduce the sizing of your battery bank by adding one (or more) of these.

        Statistically, the number of days in a row we go without wind is significantly smaller than the number of days we go in a row without sun. I can't find my analysis showing this, but it was true in 2008. If anyone has PV production data/logs I will be happy to re-run that analysis. The longer term the better.

        I have no reason to doubt the 20 year life time or the 140mph rating, but my attitude has always been to verify claims with my own judgement.

        If anyone knows where we can get a good look at one of these things I'd like to hear about it. I'd also like to hear how loud it is.