Re: [hreg] Re: South America - glacier water vs population

  • evelyn sardina
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 7, 2011
      Rice University January 26 at 6:30pm

      In case anyone is interested.

      --- On Tue, 1/4/11, Ariel Thomann <ajthomann@...> wrote:

      From: Ariel Thomann <ajthomann@...>
      Subject: [hreg] Re: South America - glacier water vs population
      To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, January 4, 2011, 1:00 PM

      Kevin
      - (a) I stand corrected re. total population of the continent: 380 is considerably more than the 250 I had guessed.

      - (b) Again, my bone of contention had to do with the original statement that:
      "...because of disappearing glaciers, an estimated 100,000,000 people in South America may be forced to relocate in the next 20 years due to vanishing water supplies."
      That would be almost 1/4 of the people in the continent.  My "disagreement" had to do with the fact that the original statement did not reflect the fact that most of the largest urban centers in South America are along its East and North coasts, where water does NOT come from glaciers.  Yes, loss of rain (due in part to deforestation) IS interfering with water supplies to those areas and this will soon affect the numbers of people you mention -- but disappearing glaciers are not part of that..

      - (c) There is a useful map at http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/maps/pdf/SAM_THEM_PopDensity.pdf

      - (d) Also, http://www.mongabay.com/igapo/South_America_cities.htm#table gives population figures for cities over 100,000.  A quick inspection of the list seems to confirm that most of the larger population centers are near the Atlantic or the Caribbean.  Overall, these areas get their water from (+/-) local rain and from rivers (Paraná, Uruguay, Paraguay, Sao Francisco, most of the Amazon’s tributaries, and Orinoco) fed by rain – minimal if any glacier contribution.

      - (e) Finally,  http://www.wunderground.com/climate/GlaciersConseq.asp contains the following:

      ”The Andes Mountains in South America are home to 70% of the world.s tropical glaciers, which provide water for drinking, agriculture, and hydropower for 30 million people”.

      So, 30 out of 380...  This number is just about what I had originally estimated: "...only 5-10 percent depend on glacier melt".

      I promise, I too remain very concerned about global shortages of fresh water (among other problems)

      Peace
      Ariel

      Hi Ariel, I’ve been trying to remember where I read that, but I just can’t recall…..a quick look came up with this…..

      The population of SA in 2005 was 385M, probably around 400M now and close to 500M by 2030.

      Large swaths of the Amazon basin are seeing less rainfall due to El Nino and deforestation. The Amazon River was recently at record lows, and tributaries are heavily polluted with agricultural runoff and destructive mining practices. Fish stocks in the rivers are declining in many areas. Yet other parts of the Amazon basin experienced intense rainfall and widespread flooding.

      Warming rate in the tropical Andes has tripled in the past 25 years, and Peru has seen its glacial retreat 7 fold between 1978 and 1995. Of 6 glaciers in Venezuela in 1972, only 2 remain, and are expected to also be gone in 10 years.

      Rapid glacial retreat is also being seen in Colombia, Ecuador and Peru. Patagonia is also seeing shrinking glaciers.

      Climate change has brought widespread flooding in some areas, and 30,000 people died from flooding and landslides in Caracas alone. Prolonged drought has increased wildfires, with 3.7M acres lost to a single conflagration in Argentina, yet Buenos Aires received 5X it’s record rainfall in one month.

      If these patterns persist for another 20 years, I don’t think it’s a stretch that 20% of the population would be affected. If I remember correctly, Quito was expected to be one of the first major cities to face a water crisis.

      Sorry I can’t provide more detail, but we’re getting a little off topic anyway….

      Best Regards, Kevin

      Kevin wrote:
      "...because of disappearing glaciers, an estimated 100,000,000 people in South America may be forced to relocate in the next 20 years due to vanishing water supplies."

      I may be wrong, but I think that's probably a world-wide figure, rather than just South America. The entire population of South America is, methinks, under 250 million, and I guess only 5-10 percent depend on glacier melt.

      Peace - and Happy New Year, everyone!
      Ariel

    • Alyssa Burgin
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 7, 2011
        Evelyn--who's sponsoring at Rice U? I'd like to get in touch with them.

        Thanks,
        Alyssa Burgin

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 7, 2011
          I don't know but I got the information through Transition Houston.
          You may also try to contact Rice University to ask. Hope this helps. Evelyn

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 7, 2011
            Thanks, I'll start looking.

            Alyssa Burgin

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 7, 2011
              I need to find a panel and inverter supplier here in Houston.

              Building two systems. grid tie.

              James Mckethen
              832 264 9343

            • Jim Hudson
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 7, 2011

                Check out Ontility – 281-254-1400

                Jim Hudson

                Business Development Manager

                Attic Breeze

                281-904-5281   (Direct)

                877-288-4234   (Main)

                281-324-1669   (Fax)

                www.atticbreeze.net

                The information contained in this message may be privileged, confidential, and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or any employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you very much.

                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 7, 2011

                  Also check out Ameresco Solar in Tomball

                  Colin Gates:      281 351 0031

                  Very knowledgeable and good customer service.

                  Srini Gavvala

                  Operations Manager

                  Dresser, Inc.

                  Infrastructure Solutions

                  16240 Port Northwest Drive, Houston , Texas 77041-2645 U.S.A

                  Office: +1 832 590 2147     Fax: +1 713 849 2879

                  Mobile: +1                        E-mail: srini,gavvala@...

                  www.dresser.com

                  Dresser, Inc. is environmentally friendly. Please, do not print this e-mail if not necessary

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 7, 2011
                    I purchased my system from http://Affordablesolar.com I am using micro inverters from Enphase, so the shipping costs from NM are low, and BP panels from AmerescoSolar in Tomball, so shipping costs are low.

                    I drove the Nissan Leaf today. It is terrific! Leaf tour on Sat and Sun in Pearland.

                    Thanks,Bill S
                    Ph 832-338-3080 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting            832-338-3080      end_of_the_skype_highlighting
                    www.watt-tracker.com
                    www.promotingevs.com
                    www.hstech.biz

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 11, 2011
                      Hi Jim,

                      I tried this number 281-254-1400 but it is not a working number,  would you please check if it is correct.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 11, 2011
                        http://www.ontility.com/interact/contact-us

                        --
                        Marc Morgan
                      • pchelectricoftexas@yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 23, 2011
                          What

                          From: Taylorhowardintl@...
                          Sender: hreg@yahoogroups.com
                          Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 09:52:39 -0500 (EST)
                          To: <hreg@yahoogroups.com>
                          ReplyTo: hreg@yahoogroups.com

                          Hello Friends,

                          I am writing to ask you to please vote for me to win a Nissan Leaf Automobile.  The auto when won will then be auctioned off to raise funds for Yachty Gras, to give back to Bay Area Houston .

                           I realize I am asking you to support the efforts of Yachty Gras.  This is our 12th Annual Yachty Gras Events during Mardi Gras.  Yachty Gras does great things to enhance tourism in Kemah and Seabrook , Texas , as well as other Cities around Clear Lake .  We will have a Kick-Off Party on March 4th and The Grand Night Boat Parade on March 5th.

                           While doing these events we also give funds to many people who need our help. Usually the donated funds go to 501-C3 nonprofit organizations.  Three areas we have donated funds to over our twelve years of operation, just to mention a few, have been; funding for summer camps for children with cancer and their families, saved many beloved pets from being put down and assisted in finding shelter for battered women and their children.

                           If possible please forward on to your email list for even greater assistance.  We have 30 days to get as many votes as possible to win the Leaf.  Please go to view my video and vote now.  Nissan will email you back for a confirmation of your vote.  Please confirm or your vote want be counted.

                           Above all .... my video should give you a good laugh for the day!  Thank you for your assistance it is greatly appreciated and have a wonderful day.

                           Keep smiling!   Happy New Year..

                          Maurine

                          Subj: Help my friend win a Nissan LEAF!

                          Hi! My friend was one of the first to test drive the all new 100% electric Nissan LEAF
                          – and now YOU can help them drive one home!

                          View and vote for my friend's video now to help them win a 100% electric Nissan LEAF!

                          https://drivenissanleaf.com/Win/Vote.aspx?b=BS59NMC4X753

                          You can drive one too! Visit www.driveNissanLEAF.com to sign up today!

                          https://drivenissanleaf.com/

                          http://twitter.com/home?status=Help my friend win a 100% electric Nissan LEAF! View and vote for their video now! https://drivenissanleaf.com/?b=BS59NMC4X753

                          http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http://www.DriveNissanLeaf.com/?b=BS59NMC4X753

                          Nissan LEAF™ Innovation for the planet. Innovation for all.

                          *Limited test drives available.

                          NO PURCHASE OR FURTHER OBLIGATION NECESSARY TO VOTE. OTHER THAN AN ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF THEIR VOTE, VOTERS WILL RECEIVE NO FURTHER COMMUNICATION FROM SPONSOR. CLICK HERE FOR OFFICIAL CONTEST RULES.

                          Sponsored 2010 by Nissan North America, Inc., One Nissan Way , Franklin , TN 37067 .

                          Always wear your seat belt, and please don’t drink and drive. ©2010 Nissan North America, Inc.

                          This email was sent in response to your interest in Nissan LEAF™ and will provide you information about the status of your reservation. This is not a promotional email from Nissan. If you have previously elected not to receive promotional emails from Nissan we will continue to honor your request and only contact you with transactional information tied to your Nissan LEAF reservation.

                          To view Nissan’s privacy policy, click here.

                          Nissan E-Mail Marketing
                          8900 Freeport Parkway
                          Irving , TX 75063