[hreg] CEC membership

  • s askew
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 13, 2000
      A few comments before we officially give up the name
      HREG and become known as TXSES-Houston or
      Houston-TXSES or some other variation in the CEC
      annual registry of environmental groups. Luckily or
      not we have another year before its published again.
      Drafting a mission statement is not a big chore, I
      assumed we would have already done that. I am willing
      to put something together before the Feb. 5 meeting if
      necessary. For non-profit status I believe we can
      still use our affiliation as a TXSES chapter without
      losing our name. For board members we can use our
      current officers. This is not a very rigorous process
      as I know a group less organized than HREG that has
      joined CEC. If we want to be know primarily as TXSES
      that is fine, but I would not want to do it for the
      sake of expediency on some paperwork. I for one prefer
      HREG because the name more accurately reflects our
      mission. TXSES may be of little difference in
      actuality, but many people will see "solar" and
      nothing else. Kind of limiting in my opinion. Of
      course I could be wrong about people understanding
      what RE means as well. We need to be consistent in our
      name or we reduce our visibilty.

      http://click.egroups.com/1/646/0/_/58590/_/947545840/

      > -- 20 megs of disk space in your group's Document
      > Vault
      > -- http://www.egroups.com/docvault/hreg/?m=1

      http://im.yahoo.com
    • Ewert, Mike
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 13, 2000
        I like Kathryn Houser's suggestion to Charlie:
        "You can list yourselves as "Texas Solar Energy Society, Houston Renewable
        Energy
        Group" if CEC is okay with the length!"

        I agree that we want to be know primarily as HREG. I assumed this other
        name was only as far as CEC was concerned, but maybe I am underestimating
        their notoriety. I had not heard of them until about a year ago.

        -- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=hreg&m=1
      • JClem412@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 13, 2000
          HREG,

          I picked up a CEC Directory ("2000 Environmental Resource Guide") this week
          during the CEC Annual Meeting. Good stuff. More copies are available for
          $10. I recommend it - info on so many good organizations. Good layout -
          each org has a Purpose Statement, Publications, Meeting Time, Speakers
          Bureau, Volunteer Opportunities.

          To order:

          Send $10 (tax incl) Check or Money Order to "CEC"
          3015 Richmond Suite 270
          Houston, TX 77098

          else call 713 524-4CEC (4232)

          Jonathan
        • OLafleur@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 14, 2000
            Hello All!

            I would really like for us to do our best to keep the HREG name. HREG is already out there (unofficially)and if we change it, that will be like reestabilshing the organization all over. How difficult is it for us to set up HREG as a non profit organization? We have the Officers in place and we can always take another group's bye-laws and modify them to suit HREG then register as a non profit organization. Is there more to it then that? I think I have the bye-laws of a non profit organization on disk that I can share with the group to see if we can use it as a guide. I will confirm later, if you wish.

            I think it will be fun establishing our own identity as the HREG organization. I have been looking forward to it for a year now.

            HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!

            Oral