Re: [hreg] Drilling in the National Parks

  • mike
    Message 1 of 6 , May 17, 2001
      Ian Thomas was fired from his job as a cartographer for the US Geological
      Survey. His offense? He posted a scientific map, the result of months of
      project reasearch, on the USGS website. The map showed the primary calving
      areas of the porcupine caribou within Ian's area of research. The problem?
      The area in question is a part of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, long
      a target for oil company exploitation and drilling. Our new president and
      his big oil advisors don't plan to tolerate being balked on this issue, not
      even by science. Ian Thomas is one of the first casualties of the War on the
      Environment sponsored by the new Bush administration. Read his story at
      www.maptricks.com .
      "I strongly believe that the termination of my position by the United States
      Geological Survey (USGS) was a gross over-reaction due to the political
      considerations USGS is currently operating under with regard to caribou and
      development for oil within Area 1002 in the Arctic National Wildlife
      Ian Thomas