RE: [hreg] Re: Using Hemp to build homes

  • Tyra Rankin
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 18, 2010

      The US laws are not just archaic – they were manipulated by powerful paper/wood industry lobbyists who outlawed their competition.  Hemp has so many uses – it’s one of the most multi-use renewable plants around.   My understanding is that Hemp is not a marijuana plant – but a cousin.

      Tyra

      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 18, 2010

        Consistent with  Wikipedia

        Cannabis sativa L. subsp. sativa var. sativa is the variety grown for industrial use, while C. sativa subsp. indica generally has poor fibre quality and is primarily used for production of recreational and medicinal drugs.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp

        Ed

        The US laws are not just archaic – they were manipulated by powerful paper/wood industry lobbyists who outlawed their competition.  Hemp has so many uses – it’s one of the most multi-use renewable plants around.   My understanding is that Hemp is not a marijuana plant – but a cousin.

        Tyra

        The problem is, people have this misconception that importing hemp will mean that everyone is getting high... but as Ron Paul famously said in his speech in Minneapolis in 2008... "You'd need to smoke a joint the size of a telephone pole." Too bad the folks that make the laws know so little about science.

        > --- On Mon, 12/13/10, Ron Foster <toronfoster@...> wrote:

        The problem is archaic laws here in the US prevent us from importing Hemp. Otherwise, it would be very cheap as well.

      • Andrea Wisner
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 18, 2010
          What I want to know is - is help really a miracle fiber, or are being just excited about it because they associate in with marijuana in their minds? For every use for hemp, is it the bext possible material for that use, or is it just that it's usable for that purpose? Could anyone recommend an online scientific reference related to the properties of hemp?

          Andrea

          Cannabis sativa L. subsp. sativa var. sativa is the variety grown for industrial use, while C. sativa subsp. indica generally has poor fibre quality and is primarily used for production of recreational and medicinal drugs.

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp

          Ed

          The US laws are not just archaic – they were manipulated by powerful paper/wood industry lobbyists who outlawed their competition.  Hemp has so many uses – it’s one of the most multi-use renewable plants around.   My understanding is that Hemp is not a marijuana plant – but a cousin.

          Tyra

          The problem is, people have this misconception that importing hemp will mean that everyone is getting high... but as Ron Paul famously said in his speech in Minneapolis in 2008... "You'd need to smoke a joint the size of a telephone pole." Too bad the folks that make the laws know so little about science.

          > --- On Mon, 12/13/10, Ron Foster <toronfoster@...> wrote:

          The problem is archaic laws here in the US prevent us from importing Hemp. Otherwise, it would be very cheap as well.

        • evelyn sardina
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 18, 2010
            http://us.mc579.mail.yahoo.com/mc/welcome?.gx=1&.tm=1292709681&.rand=27ldlj8l8of26#_pg=showMessage&sMid=13&fid=Hemp&filterBy=&.rand=1111320686&midIndex=1 3&mid=1_11580_AGLsjkQAALaZTMXihwpvXUh6k%2BA&fromId=evelynsardina@...&m=1_6781_AF7sjkQAAHWqTMXtwgL4BU7dcrI,1_7797_AGDsjkQAAWetTMXtiQgK6xF%2BnSA,1_9050_AGXsjkQAADWsTMXsAQJVu3dmgYE,1_9827_AGLsjkQAAQjyTMXq3QfXlVMvi2I,1_10649_AGXsjkQAAX%2BTTMXm%2FQnRJzkkLRA,1_11580_AGLsjkQAALaZTMXihwpvXUh6k%2BA,1_12337_AGPsjkQAADhvTMXh0gBUcRWjcvw,1_13207_AGXsjkQAAS2JTMXf1wCPFlkwrKY,1_14041_AGDsjkQAANT1TMXekge%2B7GoEs1I,1_14836_AGHsjkQAAHBjTMXcywJyvzKb9KY,1_15617_AGDsjkQAAIhyTMXYnge8fjdWVnE,&sort=date&order=down&startMid=0&hash=287830999b5a5291ff5d746024110f2e&.jsrand=850164

            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 18, 2010
              Here is a good one and pay attention to the fuel part....

              Don't know if this will go through....

              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 18, 2010
                Check spam box I sent 2 links. Pay attention to the fuel section.
                Hope this helps, Evelyn

                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 18, 2010

                  That sounded like an easy question. Google gives many sources of opinion and historical reference. It has been used for thousands of years, … Specific strength values and insulation numbers are a bit elusive. My old Kent’s Mechanical Engineers Handbook stated that it is a good valve packing when combined with tallow.

                  Here is a link to a PhD Thesis for Anders Thygesen, Risø National Laboratory , Roskilde ,Denmark

                  http://130.226.56.153/rispubl/bio/biopdf/ris-phd-11.pdf

                  http://www.hempusa.org/hmps/articles/hemp-fiber-and-fabrics.html

                  Cotton/hemp diapers (from China) L

                  http://www.hempfabricshop.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=1

                  Good hemp rope will bear the following weights, according to size:

                  Circumference.

                  Pounds.

                  inch.......

                  200

                  "......

                  312

                  "......

                  450

                  "......

                  612

                  2

                  "......

                  800

                  "......

                  1.012

                  "......

                  1.250

                  "......

                  1.512

                  I finally found a relative good chart at http://www-materials.eng.cam.ac.uk/mpsite/short/OCR/ropes/default.html

                  These are “specific “ Properties. Hemp is comparable to steel (according to the figure) on a weight basis , not on an equal size basis.

                  Ed

                  http://www-materials.eng.cam.ac.uk/mpsite/short/OCR/ropes/COLOUR_CHART.JPG

                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 18, 2010

                    Young's modulus
                    (GPa)

                    Density
                    (kg/m3)

                    Strength
                    (MPa)

                    Cotton

                    7.9

                    1,540

                    225

                    Hemp

                    32

                    1,490

                    300

                    Bulk Polyester

                    2.9

                    1,300

                    50

                    Bulk Nylon

                    2.5

                    1,090

                    63

                    Carbon Fibre

                    300

                    1,770

                    3,430

                    Aramid Fibre

                    124

                    1,450

                    3,930

                    Polyester Fibre

                    13.2

                    1,390

                    784

                    Nylon Fibre

                    3.9

                    1,140

                    616

                    Alloy Steel

                    210

                    7,800

                    1,330

                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 20, 2010
                      Wow, you are awesome! I've developed an abiding interest in materials (especially natural and easily-obtained materials) so I'm starting to save websites like this.

                      If I may ask another question - which area of engineering is most closely-tied to studying airflow in buildings? My daughter is finishing up her civil engineering degree and doesn't seem to know that much about it. If anyone knows of good books and/or online materials on this subject, please post.

                      Thanks,
                      Andrea

                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 20, 2010

                        Here are a few sources. Books on the subject tend to be expensive but there should be enough references from the government and universities to keep her busy. Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning, HVAC, is the general area. Check the Mechanical Engineering and Architecture departments at the universities. Computational Fluid Dynamics is applicable if you have a 3D model of the area of interest and a lot of computing power, see the last report. I just searched “airflow in buildings” and got over a million hits. Model studies with dye or smoke were used before computer models.

                        Flow visualization is another area to check.

                        Best wishes to your daughter, she should enjoy her career.

                        Ed

                        http://arch.ced.berkeley.edu/vitalsigns/res/downloads/rp/airflow/HEER1-BG.PDF

                        http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/buildings/tools_directory/subjects.cfm/pagename=subjects/pagename_menu=other_applications/pagename_submenu=ventilation_airflow

                        http://epb.lbl.gov/comis/