RE: [hreg] Using Hemp to build homes

  • Andrew McCalla
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 13, 2010

      Never heard about the tornado, but the USDA certainly sponsored its planting, most notably in its 1942 film “Hemp for Victory”.

      You can read about it here:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp_for_Victory

      Or watch it here:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne9UF-pFhJY

      From: Ron Foster <toronfoster@...>
      Subject: [hreg] Using Hemp to build homes
      To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, December 13, 2010, 12:57 PM

      Apparently, there are good reasons for using Hemp to build homes. Once set, it's as strong as concrete, but far less toxic. The problem is archaic laws here in the US prevent us from importing Hemp. Otherwise, it would be very cheap as well.

      http://content.usatoday.com/communities/greenhouse/post/2010/09/hemp-houses-built-asheville/1?csp=usat.me

      --
      Ron Foster – President
      Solar Panels of America LLC

      --
      Ron Foster – President
      Solar Panels of America LLC
      281-866-5001 Fax: 832-203-1455
      www.solarpanelsofamerica.com

    • texas.christian
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 16, 2010
        The problem is, people have this misconception that importing hemp will mean that everyone is getting high... but as Ron Paul famously said in his speech in Minneapolis in 2008... "You'd need to smoke a joint the size of a telephone pole." Too bad the folks that make the laws know so little about science.

        > --- On Mon, 12/13/10, Ron Foster <toronfoster@...> wrote:

        The problem is archaic laws here in the US prevent us from importing Hemp. Otherwise, it would be very cheap as well.

      • evelyn sardina
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 17, 2010
          Actually we do import hemp and lots of it. We have clothes made out of it, linen, cooking oil and it is in beverages, cereal, and food as it has all three essential fatty acids.
          People in government are aware though, it is the main stream that is not educated.
          This can easily be misinterpreted and politicians would loose votes if they don't do a
          good job of educating the public. I used to think it was bad stuff so I went to the library and
          got books on it and boy... did I learn! It is an outrage that we are not producing it and that we are inporting it from Canada. Someone is making money........ Imagine the savings in  energy from transportation... not to mention the creation of jobs..... but nooooooooo.....

          The problem is, people have this misconception that importing hemp will mean that everyone is getting high... but as Ron Paul famously said in his speech in Minneapolis in 2008... "You'd need to smoke a joint the size of a telephone pole." Too bad the folks that make the laws know so little about science.

          > --- On Mon, 12/13/10, Ron Foster <toronfoster@...> wrote:

          The problem is archaic laws here in the US prevent us from importing Hemp. Otherwise, it would be very cheap as well.

        • Tyra Rankin
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 18, 2010

            The US laws are not just archaic – they were manipulated by powerful paper/wood industry lobbyists who outlawed their competition.  Hemp has so many uses – it’s one of the most multi-use renewable plants around.   My understanding is that Hemp is not a marijuana plant – but a cousin.

            Tyra

            The problem is, people have this misconception that importing hemp will mean that everyone is getting high... but as Ron Paul famously said in his speech in Minneapolis in 2008... "You'd need to smoke a joint the size of a telephone pole." Too bad the folks that make the laws know so little about science.

            > --- On Mon, 12/13/10, Ron Foster <toronfoster@...> wrote:

            The problem is archaic laws here in the US prevent us from importing Hemp. Otherwise, it would be very cheap as well.

          • Ed Sarlls
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 18, 2010

              Consistent with  Wikipedia

              Cannabis sativa L. subsp. sativa var. sativa is the variety grown for industrial use, while C. sativa subsp. indica generally has poor fibre quality and is primarily used for production of recreational and medicinal drugs.

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp

              Ed

              The US laws are not just archaic – they were manipulated by powerful paper/wood industry lobbyists who outlawed their competition.  Hemp has so many uses – it’s one of the most multi-use renewable plants around.   My understanding is that Hemp is not a marijuana plant – but a cousin.

              Tyra

              The problem is, people have this misconception that importing hemp will mean that everyone is getting high... but as Ron Paul famously said in his speech in Minneapolis in 2008... "You'd need to smoke a joint the size of a telephone pole." Too bad the folks that make the laws know so little about science.

              > --- On Mon, 12/13/10, Ron Foster <toronfoster@...> wrote:

              The problem is archaic laws here in the US prevent us from importing Hemp. Otherwise, it would be very cheap as well.

            • Andrea Wisner
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 18, 2010
                What I want to know is - is help really a miracle fiber, or are being just excited about it because they associate in with marijuana in their minds? For every use for hemp, is it the bext possible material for that use, or is it just that it's usable for that purpose? Could anyone recommend an online scientific reference related to the properties of hemp?

                Andrea

                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 18, 2010
                  http://us.mc579.mail.yahoo.com/mc/welcome?.gx=1&.tm=1292709681&.rand=27ldlj8l8of26#_pg=showMessage&sMid=13&fid=Hemp&filterBy=&.rand=1111320686&midIndex=1 3&mid=1_11580_AGLsjkQAALaZTMXihwpvXUh6k%2BA&fromId=evelynsardina@...&m=1_6781_AF7sjkQAAHWqTMXtwgL4BU7dcrI,1_7797_AGDsjkQAAWetTMXtiQgK6xF%2BnSA,1_9050_AGXsjkQAADWsTMXsAQJVu3dmgYE,1_9827_AGLsjkQAAQjyTMXq3QfXlVMvi2I,1_10649_AGXsjkQAAX%2BTTMXm%2FQnRJzkkLRA,1_11580_AGLsjkQAALaZTMXihwpvXUh6k%2BA,1_12337_AGPsjkQAADhvTMXh0gBUcRWjcvw,1_13207_AGXsjkQAAS2JTMXf1wCPFlkwrKY,1_14041_AGDsjkQAANT1TMXekge%2B7GoEs1I,1_14836_AGHsjkQAAHBjTMXcywJyvzKb9KY,1_15617_AGDsjkQAAIhyTMXYnge8fjdWVnE,&sort=date&order=down&startMid=0&hash=287830999b5a5291ff5d746024110f2e&.jsrand=850164

                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 18, 2010
                    Here is a good one and pay attention to the fuel part....

                    Don't know if this will go through....

                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 18, 2010
                      Check spam box I sent 2 links. Pay attention to the fuel section.
                      Hope this helps, Evelyn

                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 18, 2010

                        That sounded like an easy question. Google gives many sources of opinion and historical reference. It has been used for thousands of years, … Specific strength values and insulation numbers are a bit elusive. My old Kent’s Mechanical Engineers Handbook stated that it is a good valve packing when combined with tallow.

                        Here is a link to a PhD Thesis for Anders Thygesen, Risø National Laboratory , Roskilde ,Denmark

                        http://130.226.56.153/rispubl/bio/biopdf/ris-phd-11.pdf

                        http://www.hempusa.org/hmps/articles/hemp-fiber-and-fabrics.html

                        Cotton/hemp diapers (from China) L

                        http://www.hempfabricshop.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=1

                        Good hemp rope will bear the following weights, according to size:

                        Circumference.

                        Pounds.

                        inch.......

                        200

                        "......

                        312

                        "......

                        450

                        "......

                        612

                        2

                        "......

                        800

                        "......

                        1.012

                        "......

                        1.250

                        "......

                        1.512

                        I finally found a relative good chart at http://www-materials.eng.cam.ac.uk/mpsite/short/OCR/ropes/default.html

                        These are “specific “ Properties. Hemp is comparable to steel (according to the figure) on a weight basis , not on an equal size basis.

                        Ed

                        http://www-materials.eng.cam.ac.uk/mpsite/short/OCR/ropes/COLOUR_CHART.JPG

                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 18, 2010

                          Young's modulus
                          (GPa)

                          Density
                          (kg/m3)

                          Strength
                          (MPa)

                          Cotton

                          7.9

                          1,540

                          225

                          Hemp

                          32

                          1,490

                          300

                          Bulk Polyester

                          2.9

                          1,300

                          50

                          Bulk Nylon

                          2.5

                          1,090

                          63

                          Carbon Fibre

                          300

                          1,770

                          3,430

                          Aramid Fibre

                          124

                          1,450

                          3,930

                          Polyester Fibre

                          13.2

                          1,390

                          784

                          Nylon Fibre

                          3.9

                          1,140

                          616

                          Alloy Steel

                          210

                          7,800

                          1,330

                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 20, 2010
                            Wow, you are awesome! I've developed an abiding interest in materials (especially natural and easily-obtained materials) so I'm starting to save websites like this.

                            If I may ask another question - which area of engineering is most closely-tied to studying airflow in buildings? My daughter is finishing up her civil engineering degree and doesn't seem to know that much about it. If anyone knows of good books and/or online materials on this subject, please post.

                            Thanks,
                            Andrea

                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 20, 2010

                              Here are a few sources. Books on the subject tend to be expensive but there should be enough references from the government and universities to keep her busy. Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning, HVAC, is the general area. Check the Mechanical Engineering and Architecture departments at the universities. Computational Fluid Dynamics is applicable if you have a 3D model of the area of interest and a lot of computing power, see the last report. I just searched “airflow in buildings” and got over a million hits. Model studies with dye or smoke were used before computer models.

                              Flow visualization is another area to check.

                              Best wishes to your daughter, she should enjoy her career.

                              Ed

                              http://arch.ced.berkeley.edu/vitalsigns/res/downloads/rp/airflow/HEER1-BG.PDF

                              http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/buildings/tools_directory/subjects.cfm/pagename=subjects/pagename_menu=other_applications/pagename_submenu=ventilation_airflow

                              http://epb.lbl.gov/comis/